JBOD chassis self made

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Hi,

I bought a SC836TQ and i customized it with:
- I switched the backplane with a BPN-SAS2-836EL1
- I switched the PDU with a PDB-PT826-8824
- I put a CSE-PTJBOD-CB1
- The backplane is connected with 2x SFF-8087 cables to an adapter of 2 external SFF-8088 ports

So it seems to works but i have 2 issues that i don't know how to resolve them

1. I connected 2 fans to the PTJBOD-CB1. Theses fans aren't controlled and run at full speed. They do a lot of noise. How can i slow down them a bit ?

2. I put a SATA drive on a slot and it was detected by the os. But i haven't any led on the chassis indicating an HDD is up. Maybe it's because a SATA instead of a SAS drive ? or maybe i missed something when i switched the backplane ?

Thanks in advance in any advice.

Sébastien.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The supermicro CB1 board runs at 100%, to control fan and get IPMI access you'll need the CB3 board which cost a lot more than CB1, and no one has them "in stock" they're drop shipped from SuperMicro every place I've found!

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I bought 2x 4-Pin 12V CPU Cooler Cooling Fan Speed Controller for Computer PC RPM Fans Blue and i will see.

Another question:
I have few supermicro chassis with 3.5'' hot swap bays.
When i would put SSD into theses, i have to bought MCP-220-00043-0N trays.
But theses are not cheap (10$/ea) and i have to bought in US and deal with shipping costs to France.

So, i would bought somethings like this : 2.5" to 3.5" SSD HDD Metal Adapter Mounting Bracket Hard Drive Holder for PC and uses 3.5'' trays with this inside.

Do you have experience for such things in an SM chassis ?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Doubt it Will Work. The bottom part of the metal Will raise the ssd up higher than the port on the backplane. Its not much, but its enough to make it need to be forced in place.

I just tried with an 3D printed sled in my 846. Didnt fit