JBOD adventures with Dell PERC H710P Mini (LSI 2208)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
the odd numbered slots in the IT firmware are normal, the dell backplane is ordered oddly and the dell firmware knows this and accounts for it so the slot numbers make sense, but the IT firmware does not so it shows the weird ordering of the dell backplane.

I have no idea why it's not showing all the drives, nobody else has had this and no matter what I try I can't reproduce it. Are you mixing SAS and SATA drives by chance? It should be able to handle this, but I'm not sure what else to investigate at this point. Are there other drives you can try, or try not mixing drive models just to rule it out? (eg try only the 7 identical drives). Can you see these missing drives in other systems? I would check that as well, I suppose they could have some weird RAID partition/header leftover from the RAID firmware that only the dell raid firmware will show, granted I don't think that would stop them from showing up as devices completely

Reactions: gaia

Ellen Hardin

Feb 19, 2020
I am not mixing SAS and SATA. All of my drives are SATA. This is the only server I have. I have tested the other drives in a desktop PC without raid and just connected to SATA ports. Is it time to buy another controller and give this one the toss? 5 of the hitachi drives are identical and 2 are a slightly different model. I will check without the ssd connected and see if this makes any difference. I will post again after I have checked this.

Ellen Hardin

Feb 19, 2020
I have tested without the ssd. Now I am only able to see 3 drives, even after switching in other spinning disks into the slot that worked before. After restoring the dell firmware, I see all 8 drives.

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have tested without the ssd. Now I am only able to see 3 drives, even after switching in other spinning disks into the slot that worked before. After restoring the dell firmware, I see all 8 drives.
That's incredibly strange behavior, I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing that. The last thing I would do is reseat the raid card physically, and update all the other firmware in the server (bios, lifecycle/drac, etc). If still no luck, I guess you could pick up a D1 revision of the card and see if the behavior is any different (search 05CT6D), but other than that it seems your backplane is cursed