iXsystems Starts De-emphasizing FreeBSD for TrueNAS Scale Out Project

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It will be very interesting to watch this develop. There's no indication in your article or in the IXsystems blog post what scale-out storage technology they will base this on. I'd love to see where they are taking this.

As for the note about competing with Proxmox - all Proxmox is missing is a good storage management UI. While IXsystems has that, they are missing pretty much everything else. Adding KVM and containers would be easy lifts for IXsystems - but Proxmox has done a lot of work around HA management, backup (their is admittedly crude), networking, etc. Some of these things will take a fair bit of catching up.

For years people have been putting Storage Management on Proxmox's feature wish list and the development team keeps knocking it off out of their desire to be "purists" about their product. Best outcome here from my perspective is that IXsystems ends up prodding Proxmox to add this and - viola - they win (yes, I'm still a bit bitter about IXsystems past behaviors with FreeNAS...).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
At least there seems to be interest in minio and glusterfs from the repo. Minio even has a debian reference truenas/minio

That is somewhat interesting.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
That could be very interesting. I've often wondered why somebody hadn't wrapped enough management plane and GUI around GlusterFS to make it manageable & useful. IXsystems could certainly pull that off.

Adding object storage to the mix with MinIO would be cool too.