ITX anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Well, he is... I might if I like the design enough.
I can print in PETG, ABS and Nylon soo.... from a strength standpoint I don't see why not.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A few quick thoughts:
  • Is there a place for a PicoPSU plug? The Lian-Li's I have all have a dedicated hole for this.
  • How many 2.5" drives? More would be better. I bet you could mount more on the surfaces of the case if needed.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
A few quick thoughts:
  • Is there a place for a PicoPSU plug? The Lian-Li's I have all have a dedicated hole for this.
  • How many 2.5" drives? More would be better. I bet you could mount more on the surfaces of the case if needed.
In theory if you're 3d printing it you could set it up for a vertical, front to back orientation of the drives and put them across the front of the chassis dimensionally there's room for 8-10 drives leaving room for air and securing them to the bottom plate of the chassis

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Love the idea ....is it more cost effective to print one vs. buying one on the current market?
I would like to get a 3D Printer to do similar work.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I would imagine it's not about cost/saving but more about customization/options :)

Very cool project!

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I would imagine it's not about cost/saving but more about customization/options :)

Very cool project!
Agree on the customization, it might even be possible to write a script that allows you to make changes on a webpage and order it(like picking your number/type/combination of drive bays or expansion cards)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
A few quick thoughts:
Yup, and while it is designed for a fanless itx it is now tall enough for an i3 fan.
Just 2 in this one... Though since I finally convinced him to make it modular... just a bit taller and you can fit the 8 drive bay 5.25 inch iceydock.

Reactions: Chuntzu

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Cost depends on how much you pay for filament. I rarely end up more than about $20/kg for purchased stuff. Home-made is about $4-10/kg depending on what I can find for pellets.

And there's time cost, a print that size would probably go to about 10 hours for me. If it even fit on my bed, which is a bit iffy even for an ITX case on a Lulzbot Mini. I could split it up and glue it together, but it never looks as good as printing in one piece. One of these days, I'll have to build a bigger printer. :)

Nice looking design though.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Yup, and while it is designed for a fanless itx it is now tall enough for an i3 fan.
Just 2 in this one... Though since I finally convinced him to make it modular... just a bit taller and you can fit the 8 drive bay 5.25 inch iceydock.
I love that bay but it's limited to 7mm drives, if it was ~2.5 inches inside though you could mount 15mm drives on their side across the front

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Cost depends on how much you pay for filament. I rarely end up more than about $20/kg for purchased stuff. Home-made is about $4-10/kg depending on what I can find for pellets.

And there's time cost, a print that size would probably go to about 10 hours for me. If it even fit on my bed, which is a bit iffy even for an ITX case on a Lulzbot Mini. I could split it up and glue it together, but it never looks as good as printing in one piece. One of these days, I'll have to build a bigger printer. :)

Nice looking design though.

Unless you are printing ridiculously fast or low detail...
at 80mm/s it was expecting 28hrs on the previous smaller model.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Unless you are printing ridiculously fast or low detail...
at 80mm/s it was expecting 28hrs on the previous smaller model.

Ah, I underestimated the size I suspect. I generally print about 60mm/s, so longer than your estimate if I were printing. I don't have the model file, so I was guessing. :)

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
I'd like to print one, but my print bed is pretty small at 8.9" (w) x 5.7" (d) x 5.9" (h). I want to design a modular case that can be bolted together, but I just haven't had the time to model it yet.