It's like a butterfly!......but not.....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
So this image is of four Quantum open compute ebay trays each with two dual 2660 nodes. But you cant see them. They are 'racked' on plastic Plano shelves (from walmart), these shelves are 24x36x72. Except when you cut the uprights down to 5 inches. Then you get a snug little fit with some fudge room if you want to make any changes down the line!

Anyways, it is currently enclosed with cardboard and dirty clothes with an AC unit keeping all nodes below 63C or 147(ish)F as a test, and it is working quite well even with all the leaks.

I actually have 10 trays for 20 dual 2660 nodes, however the second set of shelves that walmart had in stock must have been repeatedly dropped on one of the corners so they were worthless. As soon as I get more shelves I will be finishing the 'rack' and enclosing it in cardboard again, but this time supported by wood!

More pictures as shelves and such become available.
itsugly.jpg

Comments?

Reactions: squidman and Marsh

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
And here it is uncovered.
uncovered.jpg
Unfortunately it seems as if I was unlucky enough to purchase these shelves just before Walmart discontinued them. If my local store does not have them tomorrow I plan to buy the tan colored HDX brand at Home Depot which I have measured and should work fine. If a Lowes was closer though, they have a Blue Bird or Blue Knight brand that is black and would also work. I originally chose these shelves as they have less actual perforations on the each shelf to allow less vertical air flow. I should also mention that the AC unit that was under the cardboard with these servers was actually turning off at some points so I think I should be good going from 8 nodes running to 14 nodes running tomorrow.

I also plan to build a frame around them (with bolts or screws not nails) and line it with an internal and external layer of cardboard.

Thoughts?

Reactions: scline

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
Below you will see a picture of the trays on Home Depot 'HDX' shelves. Should you decide to purchase these shelves for any purpose, take EXTREME care to clean up all the flashing on ALL pieces and edges! I did not do this, thinking these units were the same quality as the Plano shelves from Walmart - and they are NOT.

Nevertheless, all the units are 'racked' and powered on. 14 nodes have been imaged and are mining XMR. (Fog Project FTW) The units are covered in cardboard again and doing alright. I hope to have it framed in this week.
FinishedShelves.jpg

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
This looks great actually. I would most probably make it out of aluminum frames and corners.
Keep it up, we want to see more.

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
Question, why didnt you just get a real 19" rack? Maybe with some shelves? They can be picked up used for a few bucks..

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
These don't fit in a standard 19" rack. They fit in the original Open Compute Racks. Which are not cheap to acquire.

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
I did consider welding extensions on a 4u rack that you assemble, however I would then have had to make 'tall' x's to hold each of the ten trays as the trays themselves are fairly flimsy and do not have the structural strength like a regular rack server - you can literally see the tray bend if you hold or carry it wrong! So I went with the sub $100 dollar option that did not include welding!

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Simply awesome..the more Ghetto the better! Weeeelcome to the Gheeettto! Unfortunately don't have Walmart in Norway...:(

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
That is amazing, over the top and so cool.

I appreciate the home build rack, personally would have not thought of that, but it has definitely the home engineered feel.

Looks like you are set to grow the project further, how far will you take it?

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
I'm curious, is this cluster still profitable? How much are you paying per kWh?
This setup as so far made $3k in XMR and BTC, in total, and I only recently got all 20 nodes running. Nano pool says I hit 15k-21k H on XMR with XMR-STAK (latest version)

I pay 0.098 for the first 1000 kWh, then 0.083 for every 1000 kWh after that.

Sorikan

Oct 5, 2017
Some additional pics.

FYI, the second black AC unit is an SRCOOL12K that I got for free was it was broken, cost $120 to repair it by replacing the hot air blower wheel.

Open to replace the ram in a node due to ECC memory errors.
OpenForWork.jpg

A quick picture of the additional power I ran for the units and AC.
power.jpg

How it looks under normal running conditions, without being closed up.RunningOpen.jpg

Reactions: Tha_14