Issues with System GUIDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jlutgen

Aug 31, 2014
Currently i am working with 2 x Dell C6100s. I am noticing some issues with a couple of them. Out of my esx hosts - esx1, esx5, esx6 - they all have the same GUIDs

[Baseboard,20,00] System GUID : ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff

While this is fine for regular systems and ESX - some of the advanced products i am using require unique guids.

I fixed a few of the hosts by following the blog here
HOWTO: Dell C6100 FRU / UUID Update–FINALLY! | vNetWise

This fixed a few of them by changing the Product Serial Number.

However on a few of these hosts its not working as nicely. I can run the commands like he recommends using ipmituil.exe fru -s SomeSN -H SomeHost -U SomeUser -P SomePassword -

A quick reboot later and all is good.

However on these other hosts it does nothing for the System GUID.

Is there a command i can run with the IPMI tool that will "regenerate" / "reset" the System Guid?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jared.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
First off, the guy who wrote that blog post is an idiot, I wouldn't listen to him... (J/k, thanks for the link!)

Have you tried cold power cycling the units, including the chassis? I seem to recall having issues either updating the BIOS or the UUID until I did so.

Are you using the version of IPMIUTIL I had linked to or a newer/older version? Are the BIOS and firmware the same across all of your hosts?

jlutgen

Aug 31, 2014
First off, the guy who wrote that blog post is an idiot, I wouldn't listen to him... (J/k, thanks for the link!)

Have you tried cold power cycling the units, including the chassis? I seem to recall having issues either updating the BIOS or the UUID until I did so.

Are you using the version of IPMIUTIL I had linked to or a newer/older version? Are the BIOS and firmware the same across all of your hosts?

Haha... i didn't think the author was an idiot when I got pernix working like a champ... :) I am doing some beta testing and needed that link like none other. Solved almost all of my issues that pernix was not happy with. The new release helps with localizing the issues to UUID nightmares. Of course in a real environment the UUID issue wouldn't be much of an issue.

I have powered down the individual servers and reseated them. Still with no resolution. The bios vary from server to server. When you get from ebay you kind of have to love the version your on. i have read to many posts where people brick them.

I am using the latest and greatest version of IPMI tool. I will have to look which one i used and get back to you. One host i am locked out of because the iDRAC is damn near impossible to reset the password...

Currently i am contemplating leaving the 3 hosts that are having issues in a management pool... and the other 5 in a Pernix cluster. I just have to silence some of the alerts that i am seeing.