Issues with my intel e-2176G / Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
This morning I woke up to my internet being down. Upon investigating my primary server running my pfsense/internet vms crashed.
I spend the day swapping out the MB with a spare, testing with different configurations and such. Final test was to disable cpu features since i did not have a spare cpu. I had to disable most of the performance items in the bios and also limit cores down to 4 with no HT, etc.

My specs are:
MB Model Name E3C246D4U
CPU e-2176G
Ram 4x samsung ddr4-2660 32GB sticks.

Anyone else experience such a problem with these lines of chips? Im thinking to upgrade the cpu to e-2288G but before spending the cash i wanted to see what others though.

Things i tested:
single slot memory, moving memory into different slots, loading different OS, using prime and memory test programs, removing all network cards, disabling igpu and using external gpu card, different psu, no extra fans, swapping motherboard, using older bios on new MB then updating to new bios.

Anyone try to RMA CPU to intel before? I dont have the box since i got it from OEM on ebay.

Let me know thoughts here.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I only briefly used a 2124 with no issues, but I can tell you that I found Intel HW replacement to be near perfect - if you manage to input the correct info they want (which is sometimes quite difficult without the box since that has all the info).

Replaced a bunch of NVMe drives and also a couple of CPUs and never had an issue or discussions...

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I'm having a hard time keeping the server up and running. It was okay in limp mode for a few hours now it's dying again. I think I'll get the new CPU and if that resolves my issue then I'll rma the old one and keep it as a spare. Or I'll just sell the whole system and start over.

Its weird as I never had a cpu just go bad. I hasent even been a year since I had the whole setup and it's not like network vms are killing the resources.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Nothing in the logs. I even watched cpu temps and PSU power in ipmi and nothing denotes any off values.
On esxi purple screen I had both exception 8 and 14, mostly 14. According to technote seems hardware related.

Also win10 USB would not load at all until I put the CPU into limp mode. That was how I tested to see what I had to turn off in bios.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
New CPU arrived and i replaced it in my server. So far so good. I turned on all the performance features in the bios and ESXI loaded right up. Now i have a vm running prime 95 just to see if it crashes esxi. I'm hoping my issues are now over. Next step is figuring out how to rma my CPU to intel.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Well found out my old processor is a tray and has no direct intel warranty option. Reached out to vendor on ebay to see if they can help either with a rma or replacement. Sucks since the process less then a year old.