Issues with DELL SM1715 Change block size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Hi all,

Recently I've been converting all nvme to 4K logical sector size prior to putting them into use.
Unfortunately a few days ago when I tried to convert the sector size on a Dell brand Samsung SM1715 NVME things didn't go as smoothly as my other nvme.
Below are the lbaf options when you run nvme id-ns -H /dev/nvme0n1 commands

Code:
LBA Format  0 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x2 Good 
LBA Format  1 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 512 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x3 Degraded 
LBA Format  2 : Metadata Size: 0   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0 Best 
LBA Format  3 : Metadata Size: 8   bytes - Data Size: 4096 bytes - Relative Performance: 0x1 Better (in use)
Originally it was using lbaf format 0, but when I tried to convert them to lbaf 2 it always threw the following code
Code:
NVMe status: INVALID_FORMAT: The LBA Format specified is not supported. This may be due to various conditions(0x10a)
Just because I was curious I've decided to just randomly pick other lbaf format with metadata (1 or 3) and format was successful, however when I attempted to convert it back to lbaf 0 it failed with the same msg. Currently the only format I can use are lbaf 1 & 3 (both with metadata) and this type of lbaf are not something that windows can recognize (disk manager show 0b disk size on both lbaf type). Linux can still use the drive as a secondary drive but not as boot drive anymore.

Just curious if any of you have any suggestion of various tools to convert this nvme back to lbaf 0 or better yet lbaf 2 ?

Thanks

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
Same problem here when I had this drive years ago. When converted to 512+8 or 4096+8 there seems to be no way back. This drive also can't seems to support secure erase.

Perhaps hot-pull and hot-plug the drive could work, just like what we do to those sata drives? Didn't have a backplane which supports hot plug back then.