Issue installing OS on T430 with H730

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

almon17

Oct 10, 2022
Hi all, I just picked up a Poweredge T430 with a PERC H730 as well as 4x4 TB SAS drives. I have those installed and have been trying to install Proxmox and have been getting nothing but errors.

When trying to install using RAIDZ-2 I get an error that the ZFS root pool could not be created. So I tried installing to a single disk and got an error that it was unable to initialize physical volume /dev/sda3. I tried with each of the 4 drives individually and got the same error but instead referencing sdb3, sdc3, and sdd3.

So I tried going the route of installing Debian first and when trying to just install it on a single disk I got the error: The creation of swap space in partition #3 of SCSI1 (0,2,0) (sdc) failed. I tried on each disk and got the same error.

That was all in HBA mode, so I tried to create a RAID using the H730. Each time I created one (RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 6) it showed the status of the RAID as failed. When I would go into the Debian installer, neither the array nor the disks showed up so I could tell it wasn't working.

I have flashed the latest firmware to the RAID card and still no luck. I installed smartmontools on a USB trial of Ubuntu and all 4 came up as OK SMART status. Can you think of anything I am doing wrong that would prevent me from installing the OS on the server? Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Are the disks formatted to 512e, not some funky 520 or something? Have you tried installing an OS onto a direct attached disk?

almon17

Oct 10, 2022
Got it figured out. They were SED drives so I had to use sg3_utils to format the drives. Then it let me create the ZFS pool.