Issue installing OmniOS on Asrock D1541D4U-2T8R

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kyo77

Jul 26, 2016
I have an ASRock D1541D4U-2T8R and I've run into an issue installing OmniOS. When I boot off the USB key I get a BTX halted. I've checked the bios settings to make sure all the Sata is in AHCI mode.

I currently have a M.2 drive installed with 6 sata drives.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

kyo77

Jul 26, 2016
Boot mode is set to legacy for both the marvel controller (m.2) and Intel SATA. Also when selecting from boot device I made sure not to select the one with UEFI in front of the drive, so I am pretty sure it's booting off the key in legacy mode.

As for USB I only see the ability to disable USB 3.0 which I did. I'll try looking thru the bios a bit more carefully.

I've also tried installing from the IPMI virtual CD-Rom and I still have the same issue. I do have the latest bios offered by ASrock and I am using OmniOS 151026.

I will try a sata cd-rom when I get a chance I only have one and it's installed in another machine so it will take a bit.

-Karl

kyo77

Jul 26, 2016
Tried a SATA CD-Rom still same issue, not sure what's causing it. That wasn't it.

I was finally able to get it to boot, by not using the remote console and connecting a keyboard/Monitor directly to the server. I am not sure why that might be the issue but it's booting now.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have not tried the Asrock but use a quite similar SuperMicro X10SDV-2C and 4C so these Intel line is basically supported.

What I have seen lately were problems on a Supermicro with an older bios and a newer OmniOS, maybe related to Intel CPU bugfixes. To test you can either check if there is a newer bios available or try OmniOS 151024 lts or OpenIndiana, another Illumos distribution that comes with a different loader.

kyo77

Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for the help was finally able to get OmniOS to install, seems like it had something to do with the console redirection.