iSCSI back-end for Proxmox VE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I recently threw some cheap SAS drives and HD's into a single E5 V1 box with 16GB RAM and a Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN. I want to use it as an iSCSI backup target for my Proxmox VE servers. I'm using the special NAS4Free build w/ the Mellanox drivers. I know FreeNAS 10 will have Mellanox support. Seems to work OK but I'm not really thrilled with the lack of upgrade options.

Here's what I'm having issues with. I go to NAS4Free and I make an iSCSI target.
  • Initiator setup for all networks
  • Portal Group I have portals for 0.0.0.0 and the internal subnet
  • Extent0 is setup on the /mnt/bupool/extent0 and setup to 3TiB
  • Target is setup

Everything looks OK but then...
  • I go to the Proxmox VE UI and there are no LUNs showing up.
  • I go to the Proxmox VE CLI and do:
Code:
[/LIST]
pvesm iscsiscan --portal 10.0.1.17
And nothing. I verified on the NAS4Free box that it is setup on that 10.0.1.17 IP address.

What am I missing?

I would swap now to FreeNAS but 10 seems too far off for this project yet that is the one with Mellanox support.

I would not mind doing napp-it at this point of it'd work.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
You didn't say if you are using ZFS or not. If not, take a look at esos. Runs off a flash drive, and supports block storage using SCST via a TUI. Works like a charm. ZFS support is there, but not built by default (I build it myself, so it works fine for me...)