Is this possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I have a Dell PERC H310 installed in my home desktop (providing a RAID 0 array for my game storage). I would like to install Linux to a partition on the array but for some reason, Linux cannot initialize the firmware on the card. I know it can be flashed to the LSI 9211-8i IT mode firmware. Is it possible to flash it with the LSI 9211-8i IR mode firmware so I keep the RAID functionality?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yes. Part way through the cross flashing process you'll take the card to LSI IR mode.
Simply stop there and then re-add the card's SAS address.
Depending on which process you use, the firmware bundle you found etc. you may need/want to bump the LSI IR firmware to the latest.
Don't forget to record the card's SAS address before starting the cross flash.
NB: You may lose the array performing the cross flash so backup your array before you start.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Yes. Part way through the cross flashing process you'll take the card to LSI IR mode.
Simply stop there and then re-add the card's SAS address.
Depending on which process you use, the firmware bundle you found etc. you may need/want to bump the LSI IR firmware to the latest.
Don't forget to record the card's SAS address before starting the cross flash.
NB: You may lose the array performing the cross flash so backup your array before you start.
It will back up tonight (Veeam Agent free edition). I am hoping that will resolve the fact that the card doesn't work in Linux.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Ran out of time over the weekend. But I was able to do it tonight. I did have to "create a new array", but I used the same settings as the last one and all is fine. Building a Lubuntu install USB right now. I do like the LSI config utility better than the Dell one by a mile.

Reactions: itronin