Is this a fake Cisco SFP+ transceiver?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Based only on a picture, it looks like a standard SFP-10G-SR. Looks like it was manufactured in 2007 according to the markings. Have you had any problems with it?

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Based only on a picture, it looks like a standard SFP-10G-SR. Looks like it was manufactured in 2007 according to the markings. Have you had any problems with it?
None whatsoever, it's just my nephew was going on about there being a lot of fake Cisco transceivers out there in the wild and although they do the job, the question mark is on their longevity or possibly even safety (potential fire hazard). I have a few of this exact same design and build so thought I'd ask just in case as I've noticed a few different designs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Looks right to me, fakes are good these days but nothing looking at that tips me off, serial number looks right and so on.

Reactions: Dreece

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I've had no issues using non-cisco sourced SFP's and SFP+'s in their switches. So long as their coded as cisco, they work just as well as the $1000 ones your VAR will sell you. In my experience, fs.com is a great option for this.

BigHye

Jan 25, 2019
Quick take on Authentic vs Fake vs Generic... There's only a couple of major manufacturers of the sub components and similarly only a couple of companies who assemble them into finished products. The major difference is the specifications, testing and finally vendor coding to identify the products when put into specific devices.

I'm not sure how many people are out there trying to make a fake Cisco SFP+ but that would be something I'd try to stay away from... If you want to by an Authentic Vendor part, look for a reputable seller, specifically ones that buy used equipment from big companies and resell it. They have no reason to deal with fake products and are pretty good at spotting fakes. They usually buy in bulk and may have new in the box/package product at a significant discount along with used product.

Now using a high quality Generic that isn't trying to pass itself off as an Authentic MFG part you usually get a high quality and close to the original vendors product. They typically come with warranties and don't need to be sold used to get a good price.

Case in point is FS.com. Their Transceivers and Cables are well known to be high quality, carry a 5 year warranty and can be coded to work in just about any MFG's gear.

They have a Cisco SFP-10G-SR Compatable, 10GBASE-SR SFP+ 850nm 300m DOM Transceiver Module (Standard) for $18.

While you could save a couple of bucks trying to by a used Authentic Cisco product, I'd rather get the FS.com with a 5 year warranty vs dealing with a potential fake or a used part that you don't know how well it was handled throughout its lifetime.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
dual rate
I didn’t see any. Maybe ask somebody you know who gets a good discount on Cisco transceivers, they are not cheap buy should be around $200 for a brand new genuine one vs $50 for FS seems not that bad. I have to check the cost but just memory, they are very close to standard 10G price.

lobstersarego

Jun 4, 2021
Please read the below article:

Identify Counterfeit and Pirated Products

Brand protection
Protect your infrastructure from threats and ensure top performance by using only genuine Cisco products.