Is there Cheap/Affordable Colocation?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
After spending a little time(few days) on researching colocation, it seems it is really expensive since it is targeted towards Small/Medium businesses.

I don't own a business. I am a graduate student and I wanted to see how much it would be for me to colocate my servers. Main reason being that I live in a rented place and I might not be able to run extra power lines for the server rack. Maybe. I don't know that yet for sure.

So my question would be: Is there any company that provide reasonable pricing for people who are not running a business for colocating their servers?
Maybe I am just missing the who reason behind colocation and that could explain the prices for colocating servers.

Additional info for reference:
I was looking for around 1/4 rack - 10U-12U?
Around $100/month
Around NJ-NY area.

Thanks!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
$100 month for 12U with connectivity, and power? I'd say you're dreaming but you may find a re-seller with extra capacity but at that price I'd question their business and how they'd serve you... catch-22

Cheapest going around in CA I've seen is: Colocation - Hurricane Electric Internet Services
The provided power isn't enough for a full rack of gear, in fact you could probably easily use it all up in your 10U or 12U... but you could have a variety of gear in there ;)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
$250 a month is a decent deal I figure for a 1/4 rack in a reputable colo.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yea "cheap" single server colo is like 1U 1A 120V for like $50-60.
It's about $60-80 a month for single U server here in Denver at any decent colo. Price gets cheaper per rack unit as you get more space.

Last edited:
Reactions: warlockedyou

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For low budget I would try and find someone with unused space, power, bw & IP(s) you can lease first.
Ask around @ school and see if anyone works somewhere with extra space in a server room or colo they could rent to you.

In NY Metro area you can get a 1/2 rack for <500 with minimal power, network and bw if you target 2nd or 3rd tier colos, haggle well and are game for 24mo or longer contract. Also shop @ end of quarter and the sales guys are more flexible to add another sale before the quarter closes.
Have a good handle on how much power you need in kW and if you are able to do single feed instead of dual and don't have a preference for 125V or 208V you can haggle the price more.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
For low budget I would try and find someone with unused space, power, bw & IP(s) you can lease first.
Ask around @ school and see if anyone works somewhere with extra space in a server room or colo they could rent to you.

In NY Metro area you can get a 1/2 rack for <500 with minimal power, network and bw if you target 2nd or 3rd tier colos, haggle well and are game for 24mo or longer contract. Also shop @ end of quarter and the sales guys are more flexible to add another sale before the quarter closes.
Have a good handle on how much power you need in kW and if you are able to do single feed instead of dual and don't have a preference for 125V or 208V you can haggle the price more.
I see. I didn't know schools and universities also rented their server racks to others. I'll definitely check it out.
I'm still not sure about the power since I have been lazy and did not measure how much power each of my servers take on peak load and idle.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
$100 month for 12U with connectivity, and power? I'd say you're dreaming but you may find a re-seller with extra capacity but at that price I'd question their business and how they'd serve you... catch-22

Cheapest going around in CA I've seen is: Colocation - Hurricane Electric Internet Services
The provided power isn't enough for a full rack of gear, in fact you could probably easily use it all up in your 10U or 12U... but you could have a variety of gear in there ;)
More like easily use it up in 2U.

DD Anthony

Jan 14, 2017
Houston Texas
After spending a little time(few days) on researching colocation, it seems it is really expensive since it is targeted towards Small/Medium businesses.

I don't own a business. I am a graduate student and I wanted to see how much it would be for me to colocate my servers. Main reason being that I live in a rented place and I might not be able to run extra power lines for the server rack. Maybe. I don't know that yet for sure.

So my question would be: Is there any company that provide reasonable pricing for people who are not running a business for colocating their servers?
Maybe I am just missing the who reason behind colocation and that could explain the prices for colocating servers.

Additional info for reference:
I was looking for around 1/4 rack - 10U-12U?
Around $100/month
Around NJ-NY area.

Thanks!
Have you tried colocrossing up in NY or even one of their resellers might do good. If Dallas is a good location try Psychz they usually have some decent first month free deals.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Have you tried colocrossing up in NY or even one of their resellers might do good. If Dallas is a good location try Psychz they usually have some decent first month free deals.
I have not tried that yet. But after getting responses from everyone here, it seems I should just pay to run the power lines at my rental place, if the landlord allows it. It would be more cost effective and do the job for me.

I highly doubt I will get any colocation quotes that are within my budget.

DD Anthony

Jan 14, 2017
Houston Texas
I have not tried that yet. But after getting responses from everyone here, it seems I should just pay to run the power lines at my rental place, if the landlord allows it. It would be more cost effective and do the job for me.

I highly doubt I will get any colocation quotes that are within my budget.
Probably not in the NY area no that's a pretty stable and high market usually everything to the North East is pretty expensive. Central US and and South US is where it gets a bit cheaper. I see with Psychz you can get 10U for $174/month maybe you can talk them into giving you a better price depending on your servers power usage. With the power cost in Data Centers you might get off better just doing what everyone else was mentioning. I know XO has some deals on colocation also with a world wide network to multiple dark fibers xo.com.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Probably not in the NY area no that's a pretty stable and high market usually everything to the North East is pretty expensive. Central US and and South US is where it gets a bit cheaper. I see with Psychz you can get 10U for $174/month maybe you can talk them into giving you a better price depending on your servers power usage. With the power cost in Data Centers you might get off better just doing what everyone else was mentioning. I know XO has some deals on colocation also with a world wide network to multiple dark fibers xo.com.
I agree. Also, I'm on Northern East Coast, so Dallas is too far.

EDIT: Typos

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
I have a few reputable contact up that way ill check out for you how much power did you need?
Thanks! I'm not sure about the power yet since I still have to measure the usage on my servers. Might try to measure it tomorrow if I get a chance.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I see with Psychz you can get 10U for $174/month maybe you can talk them into giving you a better price depending on your servers power usage.
8A on 120V. Any idea if they require a 15% safety margin? I have seen many of the 15A 120V places require this.

Also, I believe if you get a cabinet in Dallas you also get a tax bill, correct?

Another idea is to consolidate into a larger single machine and colo that under single machine specials. When you are saving $100-200/ month it makes a lot of sense and you start to see hard savings.