Is there any RAID card that can import an existing disk as a RAID-0 without data loss?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
A completely foreign one that has not been used in a RAID before but has been used from say a SATA port on the motherboard. Without losing data obviously. :)

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
never heard of such a beast :p
not even sure there is a SOFTWARE RAID that can do that.

why do you needed?

if drive was not used in raid at all than the best way would be to simply do a backup of it and add it to raid than restore backup.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Are you trying to just have it show up as if it were connected to a normal SATA port? IT mode HBAs do that. Some RAID cards support "passthrough" mode, though I don't think I'd trust it long term, it might be a good temporary way to get access to it.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Are you trying to just have it show up as if it were connected to a normal SATA port? IT mode HBAs do that. Some RAID cards support "passthrough" mode, though I don't think I'd trust it long term, it might be a good temporary way to get access to it.
Yeah that's the approach - thanks. In IT mode does any HBA cache still work? Yeah if I have to I'll buy another Areca card since their passthrough is quite good but they are reasonably expensive even on ebay