Is there a way to add IPMI to a non SM motherboard?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Does this need to be a Pi3 or would an older model do? Or one of the other *Pi's

Fmstrat

Oct 3, 2017
Does this need to be a Pi3 or would an older model do? Or one of the other *Pi's
I have tested with a Pi3+Pi0, and a Pi3+Pi0W. I don't see why a Pi1 or Pi2 wouldn't work, however. I would consider doing things manually if you have to use a different Rasbian release, though. Either way, let me know the results!

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
@Fmstrat
Any reason you use USB to serial adapter from the Pi3 to the Pi0 when the Pi3 has UART pins? some jumper wires across would be enough. Of course you would have to disable the kernel serial console if using the onboard UART of the Pi3. And Serial to USB adapters are cheap enough. :)

Not easy to optimize this further without increasing costs though. A combined unit that does VGA direct capture instead of using more signal converters would surely cost more. I'm sure you looked at all the options.

With some engineering I'm sure it would be possible to do way better than the Aten IP8000 though. That actually has a FPGA to do VGA capture which increases cost.

On board iKVM just provides its own integrated graphics so the software can just access the framebuffer directly.

I'm imagining a PCIe board that actually has one of those ASPEED AST2400 chips on it.

Last edited:

Fmstrat

Oct 3, 2017
@Fmstrat
Any reason you use USB to serial adapter from the Pi3 to the Pi0 when the Pi3 has UART pins? some jumper wires across would be enough. Of course you would have to disable the kernel serial console if using the onboard UART of the Pi3. And Serial to USB adapters are cheap enough. :)
I went the route of the USB to Serial adapter because I wanted to be able to control more than one system. This way, you add a $7 adapter, $24 converter, and a $5 Pi0, and for less than $40 you can control another machine. With a powered HUB this could be infinite (but with a limitation of 8 to reboot on the relay board). The Pi3 UART pins wouldn't support that.

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
(incidentally if anyone spots a Z170 board with IMPI in the wild let me know!)
Does it have to be Z170, or will Q170 suffice? There is one SM Q170 motherboard with IPMI that might be worth a look - the X11SSZ-QF...

Edit: There is also the SM C7170-SQ which features IPMI, and I dare say a closer look would reveal even more options...

Last edited:

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Edit: There is also the SM C7170-SQ which features IPMI, and I dare say a closer look would reveal even more options...
That would have been ideal had it been available at the time, but alas I've left that project and that job long behind!

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
looking back at this while thinking about ways to get IPMI like access to consumer hardware on a larger scale, an easier way (albeit not cheap/suitable for a single machine) would be to just have an IP KVM with virtual media and a webrelay/webrelay-quad/x600 with one or more 16 way boards ( ControlByWeb | Ethernet I/O for Relay Control and Remote Monitoring ) you can then run power and or reset wires to the individual machines you want power control over and its a basic webpage on the webrelay (or you can make your own as they can be triggered with XML or HTTP posts easily)