is there a supply shortage of 14nm Intel Xeons?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
according to this article, they are claiming HP has leaked a doc indicating a shortage of 14nm Xeons and appears to be recommending AMD Epyc:

Intel can’t supply 14nm Xeons, HPE directly recommends AMD Epyc

I mostly work in software these days, so I'm not involved with people who are making new HW purchase decisions. But any STHers here notice indications of such a shortage in the enterprise space? Any delays in order fulfillment? Any vendor redirection of Xeon orders to Epyc?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not experienced anything and I would be surprised if there was truth to this, the only possible sense would be if we see scalable v2 already, it had been 12 months and they did talk about shorter cycles but then it would also imply they are manufacturing them in numbers now.

They could recommend all they want but can’t see enterprises changing mind (after all they would have decided on the processors they have for good reasons after doing an evaluation)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nowhere near as bad as the V4 shortage was in Q1 2018 when Intel constrained supply to push people to Scalable.