Is there a different POE injector required for a 2.5 GBE connection?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 14, 2017
I have a Ruckus 750 AP and I'm looking at getting the low end managed zytel multi-gig switch.

I have been powering the Ruckus wt a POE injector, but it occurred to me that it might not work at 2.5gbe speeds and some searching seems to indicate this is an issue for at least 10/100 vs 1gbe.

From some quick googling, I'm only seeing a handful of POE injectors that mention anything beyond 1gbe. There's a merkai Cisco that's supposed to be good up to 10gbe, but it's basically about as much money ($250-$300) as a multi-gig POE switch.

Is the smart thing to do, just use the POE port for the power and one of the multi-gig ports on the switch for the data?

Does anyone have any experience with trying to use a 1gbe POE injector with a 2.5gbe connection?

Jul 14, 2017
Well for what it's worth with the at least nominally 1gbe POE injector, the Ruckus reports the physical connection as 2.5gbe when plugged into the 2.5gbe port on the zytel, but 1gbe when plugged into a 1gbe port. I don't currently have any other 2.5gbe gear to check it out with, to see what it actually delivers though. Eventually I need to figure out what will work best to provide a 10bge link to the upstairs network.

That's a problem for another time though.

Now the Ruckus is reporting the POE injector as not providing enough power. However, when I checked the Ruckus ref doc, it didn't seem to indicate that there was anything that it couldn't do with only 30w vs the 60w it's specced for. Presumably the Tx/Rx power is less, but I have a tiny house, so more power would likely only enable me to get wifi further down the street away from my house, which isn't really a concern.