Is the APC Smart-UPS 1000VA a good buy for a silent UPS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mastakilla

Jul 23, 2019
Hi,

I just found a 2nd hand APC Smart-UPS 1000VA (SUA1000UXI) with brand new batteries, which I'm considering to use for my FreeNAS server.

In the NUT compatibility list (Network UPS Tools - Hardware compatibility list) this UPS is labeled as the worst possible:

1600779579437.png

But what does this mean?
* Does it simply mean that APC isn't very friendly to the NUT community and that they had to figure out everything by reverse engineering?
* Or does it also mean that this UPS has limited / partly broken functionality and is a bad choice for using with FreeNAS?
* When using the filter for connection, I discovered that this model only "supports" connection via serial cable. Is that correct? So no USB?

Power delivery is quite good where I live, so I don't care about it being able to power my NAS for long time, as long as the NAS has enough time to shut down, I'm happy...
I did read that non-true-sine-wave UPS have trouble with some PFC PSUs. My PSU (Fractal Design Ion+ 660W Platinum) indeed has active PFC and I couldn't find any reports of people who have tried it with an UPS. So I guess it is better to be safe than sorry and get a true-sine-wave UPS.

My PSU is a 660W model, so +10% means it can draw about 733W input power maximum. Typical power usage however will be more around 100-200W. But I did read already that it is important to look at maximum input power instead of typical power when sizing an UPS. Especially for non-true-sine-wave UPS...
The SUA1000UXI is a 670W UPS, so not entirely enough, but I think close enough (as it is a true-sine-wave model)...

My server is currently still in my office, so it is critical that it is dead-silent when not running in battery mode. I've just discovered that for my first choice, Eaton, the higher powered models are all fan-always-on models, so not an option :(

I found that the APC Smart-UPS received a firmware update that allows the fan to be off when not running on battery:

I do wonder if all APC Smart-UPS 1000VA are the same though, as there seem to be multiple product numbers for this UPS...

Is the SUA1000UXI certainly the model that NUT has reversed engineered? Or is this possibly a newer generation of the Smart-UPS series, which hasn't been reversed engineered yet?
Same question regarding the fan: The product number they speak about on Amazon is SMT1000 instead of SUA1000UXI. But both are called APC Smart-UPS 1000VA. Does the SUA1000UXI also have the fan-off option?

Is this UPS a good option or not?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mastakilla

Jul 23, 2019
The SUA1000UXI model got sold in meantime :/

What's left is a SMC1500I for now. I guess I have the same questions about that one ;)