Is my old NORCO sever case worth using?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lahatte

Jul 8, 2020
I have an old NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case (24 bays). Is it worth using it to build the latest/greatest? or is it better to just buy something newer? Nothing in it is worth keeping. It has old 100mb cards, etc but the case was really nice back in the day.

Last edited:

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I would sell it to me very cheaply. I'll put it to good use.

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with reusing a good case for a new build unless its damaged somehow. With only mini-SAS connections on the backplane you might not get all the performance you want from SSDs mounted in your drive sled. I'm not sure of another reason not to use it.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The usual answer: "It depends"

I would not use such a chassis with slow noctua (= non idustrial) fans and let's say a dual cpu system with 16+ ram slots and 4+ add on cards cards.
For a fileserver with a single, actively cooled cpu/low power system with one or two add on cards why not?

@JediAcolyte
The backplanes (at least the one listed on norcos website) is a passive backplane and should support all current sas versions/speeds (even the upcommming sas4 with 24 GBit/s per port) and not limit the performance in any way.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I couldn't help myself but to share this blast from the past

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have an old NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case (24 bays). Is it worth using it to build the latest/greatest? or is it better to just buy something newer? Nothing in it is worth keeping. It has old 100mb cards, etc but the case was really nice back in the day.
I wouldn't risk it. Do a web search for "norco case backplane problems". For the cost of a few killed drives you can get a nice used Supermicro case.

Reactions: lahatte