Is it possible to upgrade Ruckus Unleashed without an outage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I have 2 units in my house - one on the ground floor, and one in the finished basement. Whenever I've done an update before, there is an outage of several minutes, even though only one AP is offline/rebooting. I vaguely recall seeing a message about updating the configuration or whatever (e.g. it seems like the non-master can't just 'take over' instantly?) This is kind of annoying, as I have to do it at 7AM or some-such when no-one else is up and online...

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I Think they do rolling updates by them self

but you can also just manual update them
I don't think I was clear, sorry. What I've noticed in the past: if the master AP reboots, wifi is offline until failover to the other one. That's where the message about reconfiguring comes in. It kinda surprised me that there is that long of an outage.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
actually, this is the splash screen:

Rebuilding the Unleashed Network. It may take a few minutes.

and the virtual IP is not pingable. timing it...

klui

Feb 3, 2019
There is a brief outage when a master changes but I recall it is less than when the master is rebooted which causes the network to be rebuilt. Make sure you not select auto reboot and manually upgrade the standby AP before you upgrade the master. That's probably the best you can expect.

Personally I feel it's not a big deal if things get interrupted in a home environment. I did it at 1AM for ...243 when everyone else was asleep.

If you feel even this is a big hassle, then get 2 more APs and have two different physical networks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Not that big of a deal. Just seems like there ought to be a more seamless failover, but it is what it is.