Is it possible to get these SAS Hitachi drives to work on a "normal" system?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_root

Jun 7, 2020
Hi. I would like to add. I have a few of these disks. See this list:

# lsscsi -g
[0:0:0:0] storage HP P410i 6.40 - /dev/sg0
[0:0:0:4194240] storage HP P410i 6.40 - /dev/sg3
[0:1:0:0] disk HP LOGICAL VOLUME 6.40 /dev/sda /dev/sg1
[1:0:0:0] disk SE_HGST DKR5D-J600SS B8B8 /dev/sdb /dev/sg2
[1:0:1:0] disk HITACHI DKR5C-J600SS APAP /dev/sdc /dev/sg10
[1:0:2:0] disk HITACHI DKR5C-J600SS ARAR /dev/sdd /dev/sg4
[1:0:3:0] disk SE_HGST DKR5D-J900SS B8B8 /dev/sde /dev/sg5
[1:0:4:0] disk SE_HGST DKR5D-J900SS BEBE /dev/sdf /dev/sg6
[1:0:5:0] disk SE_HGST DKR5D-J900SS B8B8 /dev/sdg /dev/sg7
[1:0:6:0] enclosu NETAPP DS224IOM6 0173 - /dev/sg8
[2:0:0:0] cd/dvd Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S AH52 /dev/sr0 /dev/sg9

The interesting disks are sg2 to sg7 + sg10. I tried using SeaChest_Firmware by Seagate, which identified the disks correctly, however, failed to change firmware (unsupported). I have tried using sg_write_buffer, but again, for no avail (the command I have used was sg_write_buffer -v -m 5 -I /tmp/sas/payload/N440.fwh /dev/sg2 - I have Dell firmware called N440.fwh), but it failed.
I found HGST tools in this FTP server: ftp://ftp.abacus.cz/distribuce/HGST/ where I got "HGST device manager" (used for ST disks, so not for me) and 'hugo' which seems like the best tool for the task. The tool shows the disks, is willing to download their logs, and happy to do whatever I say, except that it claims that the disks are in 'self test' mode, which prevents doing anything. Hugo command to abort the self-test fails.
Hugo shows the disks like this:
(hugo) s

Manuf. Model Serial Interface Capacity Type Firmware Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) HGST DKR5C-J600SS PZJA671D SAS 600 GB HDD APAP In Test
2) HGST DKR5D-J900SS KVH97PRF SAS 900 GB HDD B8B8 In Test
3) HGST DKR5D-J900SS W8G608MX SAS 900 GB HDD BEBE In Test
4) HGST DKR5D-J900SS KVH3ZRMF SAS 900 GB HDD B8B8 In Test
5) HGST DKR5C-J600SS PPX1EZ8D SAS 600 GB HDD ARAR In Test
6) HGST DKR5D-J600SS W7GDSM3X SAS 600 GB HDD B8B8 In Test

And, as I've already written - an attempt to abort the test fails:
(hugo) abort -s PZJA671D

Drive self test status for Device: PZJA671D... Running [abort failed].

So firmware updates fail as well:
(hugo) u -s PZJA671D -f /root/firmware/CEGNB5B0.bin

Update not executed, device is currently in test: PZJA671D
WARNING: Firmware on device PZJA671D did not change from previous version.

If anyone has any further ideas, I would be glad to hear them. I have many more disks like this (they were from NetApp, I think) of 600 and 900GB, and I would really like them to work. I hope I give some additional info which will make some of you able to make these disks work.

Thanks!
what kind of server did you test these drives on ?
HP or Dell ? plz tell me the model

ironmeese

Nov 22, 2020
This fixed it for me; enabled me to reformat 17 HGST/NETAPP drives from a 520 to a 512 sector size and get them working normally in a vanilla Ubuntu install. Hope it helps someone else.

key commands were:

sudo apt-get install -y sg3-utils
sudo sg_scan -i
sudo sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg5 (<-- /dev/sgX, where X is the identifier for the drive shown by the sg_scan command)
reboot after format is complete

edit: The format process took 12 hours per 6 TB drive, but I was able to run them all concurrently. I don't know if the 'fast format' option in the sg_format utility would work as well, but it'd be worth a short if you're in a hurry.

Last edited:

DANIELDCMX

Jan 25, 2021
Were you or anyone able to figure this out? Thanks!

I have all the standard firmware, but what tool did you use to flash the firmware? HGST and HUGO don't work. Neither does DELL's SASDUPIE.exe. Thanks!

hello, you have fw from HGST and also from Seagate

DANIELDCMX

Jan 25, 2021
Boa tarde, alguem tem um firmware loarders do hd HUC1060xxCSxx COBRAD desde de já agradeço

Good afternoon, someone has the loarders HD firmware HUC1060xxCSxx COBRAD since already thank you

DANIELDCMX

Jan 25, 2021
Boa tarde, alguem tem um firmware loarders do hd HUC1060xxCSxx COBRAD desde de já agradeço

Good afternoon, someone has the loarders HD firmware HUC1060xxCSxx COBRAD since already thank you

Adeel Akram

Nov 11, 2017
I am also stuck with more than a 1,000 units of these disks. I am willing to pay anyone who can invest time in resolving this.

The Majority Model is HUC106060CSS600 or DKR5C-J60SS.

The disks show perfect health. I am able to use sg_utils to format them from 520 Bytes to 512 Bytes (Most are already 512 Bytes).

But all attempts to write data on them or creating RAID fails.

I am also of the opinion that this has something to do with the firmware on the disks.

trebon65

Dec 1, 2021
Hello all,
Got the same issue. Did the conversion to 512 but can not create raid in truenas. Working with HGST 1.2T drives. What seems to be grouping the fauty drives (not sure if it makes any sense) is that any disk with a GCGC firmware is having the issue. We do not have any issues with KZ or G7G7 firmware drives.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can confirm that.

Can drives be firmware upgraded through a LSI controller and a Megacli -PdFwdownload command ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adeel Akram

Adeel Akram

Nov 11, 2017
Hello all,
Got the same issue. Did the conversion to 512 but can not create raid in truenas. Working with HGST 1.2T drives. What seems to be grouping the fauty drives (not sure if it makes any sense) is that any with a serial number GCGC is having the issue. We do not have any issues with KZ or G7G7 serialized drives.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can confirm that.

Can drives be firmware upgraded through a LSI controller and a Megacli -PdFwdownload command ?
Hi,

The disks that are having the issue are most likely disks pulled out of a Hitachi VSP Storage system. These disks a firmware locked and no utility is able to make them usable. I have tried a lot.

I finally found a Russian guy who was able to unlock the disks for me and installed generic hitachi firmware that made the disks usable again.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
You can buy "unlocking service" for like $5 per drive. They provide a bootable image (of Windows + Niagara) which you would boot the system with connected drives from. Then they would RDP into the system and run the unlocking script (not included with the image) for Niagara to patch out the firmware check right in the service area of every drive. After that the drives would accept any generic HGST firmware.

Reactions: itronin

trebon65

Dec 1, 2021
You can buy "unlocking service" for like $5 per drive. They provide a bootable image (of Windows + Niagara) which you would boot the system with connected drives from. Then they would RDP into the system and run the unlocking script (not included with the image) for Niagara to patch out the firmware check right in the service area of every drive. After that the drives would accept any generic HGST firmware.
Finding the firmware seems to be impossible. These are 1.2T drives. I was not able to find one. Any one ?

fyphonsilter

Nov 28, 2021

Hello,

Who does this for $5.00 per drive?

TIA

dsenela

Apr 4, 2019
Can you provide a link to this "unlocking service" I need to unlock a bunch of drives.

randomwalk

Dec 25, 2021
Hi,

The disks that are having the issue are most likely disks pulled out of a Hitachi VSP Storage system. These disks a firmware locked and no utility is able to make them usable. I have tried a lot.

I finally found a Russian guy who was able to unlock the disks for me and installed generic Hitachi firmware that made the disks usable again.
Any chance you can share the contact or provide a link to a forum where I can ask for help?
I have ordered drives without knowing these will not work with my Adaptec RAID controller (willing to pay to get them unlocked).
My drives are: HGST/Hitachi #: HUC101212CSS600 (DKR5E-J1R2SS)
--
Thanks,

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Any chance you can share the contact or provide a link to a forum where I can ask for help?
I have ordered drives without knowing these will not work with my Adaptec RAID controller (willing to pay to get them unlocked).
--
Thanks,
@randomwalk did you ever get these working?

preludedrew

May 16, 2022
I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd share that I was able to get this working. I had to find a stock seagate firmware for my ST9900805SS (on disk) firmware shows it as DKS5D-J900SS. I can't remember where I got this, spent the good part of a day trying to figure this out. Most of the time taking with testing formatting. Below are the commands I used with the firmware I found.

Code:
sg_write_buffer -v -m 5 -I CP-SAS-0004.LOD /dev/sg0
sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg0 --quick
After the above, either reboot the device or re-insert each disk. Above was done on a Dell T420 running proxmox 7.0. I was then able to lay a filesystem on them all, and eventually repurpose them to my ceph cluster.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there. I thought I bought 20 paper weights, but was able to get them working.

Reactions: itronin

SuperVertrix

Jun 30, 2022
--
Thanks,
I have the same drive models like yours. I ended up returning all 30 of them for a refund.

:-(

SuperVertrix

Jun 30, 2022
I ended up returning the Hitachi VSP hard drives for a refund.
I bought some others, same model # but from different OEM vendor, this time NetApp.
I was able to reformat the HD to 512b and created a ZFS pool without issues.

The problem is Hitachi drives that come from a Hitachi VSP enclosure. Those HD's are locked to their ecosystem.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Hi, new here, has anyone been able to finally get HGST "HUC101212CSS600" 1.2TBs flashed to unlocked firmware? P/N: 0B28473 Model: DKR5E-J1R2SS. Yes, I'm aware they are those F##king VSP drives. I also have some from HUS systems which might have clean firmware on them.

Any and all help is much appreciated, have spent DAYS on this so far. I did find one supposedly clean firmware but can't figure out a way to flash them.

Can add photos of the drives/systems if that helps.

Thanks,

Sean.

ownhost

Jun 16, 2019
I am still looking for a solution regarding these discs. The problem is that all the disks come with firmware locked, only pc3000 or hydata's device works to open them.
But in the hddgru forums at the url above, one can unlock these discs with hugo and niagara and asks for 8 euros per disc.