Is it possible to future-proof any NAS with Docker containers on SBC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hi. Just a thought. I see those Synology Diskstations and always find them very attractive, EXPENSIVE, and UNDERPOWERED :). To be fair, they sure look good. Since a lot of people have one, I think they must be doing a pretty good job. One of the concerns though is since they are NAS, cheaper ones are usually underpowered. Even Atom ones may eventually be not enough for certain applications.

Seeing so many SBC popping up, and I believe Docker will run well with SBCs, is it possible to have Docker containers run on SBCs, and storage goes to the NAS? And if a single SBC is already saturated, can I add another SBC, and host a couple more apps, all saving to the same Synology NAS? How can they be connected? Via Switch?

I'm just thinking out loud. Hope those knowledgeable can share. I bet that kind of setup will sure look great. 8-bay Synology, with 2 or 3 SBCs to future-proof whatever app may come along.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Any ideas? If it's doable, I may start looking for old 8 bay Synology Diskstations :D

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Do you mean with sbc single board computers like raspberry pis and other boards?
If yes of course they could write to a nas (Network Attached Storage) :D

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Do you mean with sbc single board computers like raspberry pis and other boards?
If yes of course they could write to a nas (Network Attached Storage) :D
Yes, Raspberry Pis, Odroids, get Docker to start at bootup, and have all of the containers on multiple devices such as these. Each SBC hosts 2 or 3 containers, depending on how much power each container requires.

If multiple containers on an SBC, and the SBC only has a single Gigabit, is VLAN necessary?