Is it possible? - TMM iGPU multi-display in Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I'm new to Proxmox. I watched a Youtube video from the past week: The author had Proxmox host on a desktop, the GPU (like, $1600) was connected to three separate monitors. They had Windows on one monitor, Linux on a second, MacOS on a third. The mouse was able to pass through each monitor to the next OS without any hot-key switch. They didn't explain how they did that (ie how they did passthrough), and actually explained little in the video.

Can a TMM's iGPU with dual or triple output ports do this?

Proxmox on TMM, 3 VM's, three monitors connected to TMM. Is it possible?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I'm new to Proxmox. I watched a Youtube video from the past week: The author had Proxmox host on a desktop, the GPU (like, $1600) was connected to three separate monitors. They had Windows on one monitor, Linux on a second, MacOS on a third. The mouse was able to pass through each monitor to the next OS without any hot-key switch. They didn't explain how they did that (ie how they did passthrough), and actually explained little in the video.

Not via GPU partitioning - MacOS alone will sink most attempts.

nVidia drivers isn't a thing after High Sierra (10.13), anything Mac with an nVidia GPU is already EOL, and anything AMD/nVidia that would fit in a TMM (GTX 1050, P620 or RX540/550 and etc) will not do GPU partitioning anyways. Radeon Vega or RDNA2 (the GPU typical for any given Ryzen APU) won't work for any hypervised MacOS variants, and Intel GVT-g/GVT-d barely works (no acceleration even if it does, and it's fairly dependent on which MacOS kernel you are working with - a simple act like a MacOS update will break the setup).

Last edited:

levifig

Nov 27, 2017
levifig.com

I'm gonna guess the video you saw was from a lady also trying to sell her "Proxmox consulting services" right? If so, be forewarned: it's a scam.

Furthermore, you can achieve that, but you'll need 3 GPUs on the system, and at least one needs to be macOS compatible.

FWIW, I've been pursuing that "pipe" dream for years, even built a massive build for that purpose but ended up parting it all out and building 3 separate machines.

All to say: don't waste your time! ;)

Cheers and sorry for necro!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
See

Craft computing has few video how to guid to divide up GPU to multiple VM

But not with TMM

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I'm gonna guess the video you saw was from a lady also trying to sell her "Proxmox consulting services" right? If so, be forewarned: it's a scam.

Furthermore, you can achieve that, but you'll need 3 GPUs on the system, and at least one needs to be macOS compatible.

FWIW, I've been pursuing that "pipe" dream for years, even built a massive build for that purpose but ended up parting it all out and building 3 separate machines.

All to say: don't waste your time! ;)

Cheers and sorry for necro!
Thank you. I figured that for the months leading in and after that video, since nobody else replicated it, it wasn't legit.

I have better use for my money than 3x GPU for the sake of having a fake Mac.

Reactions: levifig