Is it ok to use Motherboard SATA for ZFS?

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Davewolfs, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Davewolfs

Davewolfs Active Member

For my X10SDV-TLN4F I am using an LSI 2308 IT mode controller that is taking up one of my PCI slots - works great. I’m just wondering if there is anything wrong with using the motherboards built in SATA - Intel AHCI Lynx controller. This seems like something that used to be frowned upon but I am not so sure anymore.

I wouldn’t mind freeing up the slot so that I could add some NVME devices.

2. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

I'm using both motherboard sata and LSI sata on the same board w/o any issues.

3. nk215

nk215 Active Member

You need to add (for the board X10sdv) :

# INTEL Lynx Point AHCI
    8086 8c02 d3d0 false

to /etc/vmware/passthru.map

Reboot. Then you can add the PCI Device for the AHCI controller to your FreeNAS VM. If you are running ZFS as a VM that is. If your ZFS is bare metal and there's no issue.

That's what I have in my note.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. zack$

zack$ Active Member

I don't think this works with ESXI 6.7 upwards anymore.

5. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Where does the OP write anything about ESXi or passthrough? ;)

So yes, SATA is fine for ZFS. Usually HBA's are recommended since
    1. the install base is larger
    2. you are not depending on FreeBSD PCH drivers
    3. You can potentially use advanced features like localising drives

6. Davewolfs

Davewolfs Active Member

Could it be that only recently motherboard hardware has become relatively stable?

7. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Well I can't remember any bigger (public) issues with onboard SATA in years ... but o/c I have been virtualizing for a while.

In the end you need to use what makes you confident that it will run safely.

8. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Yes, as long as you have Intel or Supermicro SATA ports. Older Realtek or older Marvell chipsets will kill you. :eek:

Asmedia onboard ports (Example, Asmedia 1061) are ok as well. The newer 2nd gen Marvell add-in cards/ports are good. (Marvell 9215, 9230)

ZFS doesnt care. As long as you passthrough the drives, with no hardware raid holding the gateway to the drives, you are fine.

Heck, you can RAIDZ2 two separate drives; one off a LSI HBA, and the other off of a onboard SATA port and you will be fine.

Just try to match SATA generation for generation. But even then, a SATA2 (3Gbps) onboard port is fine with a SATA3 (6Gbps) port on a HBA.