Is Dell 9YD6K Intel i350-T4 vendor locked?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sandbo

Apr 4, 2019
Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this board, but I have no luck obtaining a confirmation elsewhere.
I found some good deals on eBay on this particular card, which I hope to use in my custom build x86 router later.

Upon asking the seller, they mentioned that the card will only work with Dell server, but it sounds like they just didn't want to risk giving the wrong answer.

Would any member here happen to have tried this exact card on a non-Dell system without any issue?
I have seen another post, with Dell i350-T4 (THGMP) the user needs to apply electrical tape for it to boot....if possible I would like to avoid it.

Great if you can share with me your findings.

ChrisITguy

Apr 6, 2019
As far as I know, they aren't locked to Dell hardware. They're just Intel based quad port NICs. I have several of these at work. I'll toss one in a non-Dell computer and see what happens.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
The tape thing is really hard to predict without actually plugging the card in and trying to boot. I'm trying to think of systems I've had this issue with and the only ones that come to mind have Asus motherboards.

I don't think the Dell card is is vendor locked, I haven't seen that on any of these Intel OEM NICs and I've used a few (not that particular card but several Dell and HP Intel I340s and x520s.)

Crond

Mar 25, 2019
I've never tried 1G, but from my experience working with 10G like x520-da2 and earlier models, Dell doesn't lock the card, but it has custom firmware. Intel firmware tools will refuse to update it.

Usually it's not a problem as you can always take Dell's SAU to update firmware, but it may become an issue when you're dealing with old cards, that no longer offered or supported for any of the Dell servers, than you'll be stuck with whatever the latest firmware you can get from Dell.

Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this board, but I have no luck obtaining a confirmation elsewhere.
I found some good deals on eBay on this particular card, which I hope to use in my custom build x86 router later.

Upon asking the seller, they mentioned that the card will only work with Dell server, but it sounds like they just didn't want to risk giving the wrong answer.

Would any member here happen to have tried this exact card on a non-Dell system without any issue?
I have seen another post, with Dell i350-T4 (THGMP) the user needs to apply electrical tape for it to boot....if possible I would like to avoid it.

Great if you can share with me your findings.