Is a Xeon a Xeon??????

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm looking for a pair of Xeons for the X8DT6-F I have on the way and most on ebay are listed as for a particular brand of server. I thought a CPU was pretty much for any system that's designed for it and not a particular brand.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Yea a xeon is a xeon. For sockets spanning multiple generations the only thing you've really got to watch is if you BIOS are for the first gen and you try using the second gen you need to flash with the first gen first. So for your board if the bios are fro xeon 5500 and you try a xeon 5600 it will beep at you. You'll need a cheapo xeon 5500 to flash BIOS then you can use the xeon 5600.

The only other issue is es. Some es chips are not enabled via microcode on some boards and some es chips also lack features.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Intel is making custom chips for some manufacturers these days. I know Amazon's one of them, and I believe Oracle is as well. I couldn't tell you if the custom chips use a common socket or not. As far as I know, these chips are limited to the current generation. Shouldn't have an issue with the old X8 boards.

Mostly, people put that stuff in the titles on eBay to reach a broader audience.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. I ordered a couple of cheap X5570's just to get it up and running. Might upgrade them in the future depending on how well they fit my needs.

idunknow

Apr 15, 2015
The only other issue is es. Some es chips are not enabled via microcode on some boards and some es chips also lack features.