IPMI timeout (ASRock Megarac)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Hi there all; I'm attempting to do an install over the WAN of an IPMI-enabled box running on as ASRock E3C226D2I... but it seems that the web console has an inbuilt hard limit of 30mins per session. This simply isn't enough time for me to run through the installation as it forcefully disconnects the web console and all attached media (something that the installation doesn't seem to be able to recover from). I can confirm the logout happens regardless of whether you've actually done anything in the session or not (i.e. typing stuff or jiggling the mouse doesn't seem to do anything).

There's an obscure setting in Configuration > Services > Web > Modify > Timeout, but this seems to already be at the maximum value of 1800s.

Am I missing something very obvious or is a hard-coded time limit really the only option here? Does anyone know a way around this?

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
I've seen this before. My solution (a bad one) was to find a faster way to install. I know that's a terrible answer but I couldn't figure it out.

You can also move around in the web UI to keep the session active.

tenet

May 4, 2015
This is a bit old, but there is a solution that I wanted to share. I had contacted William at ASRock and received a very unsatisfactory answer, which is there is nothing you can do.

However, (at least with BMC firmware 0.18) you can enable a sensor widget, which auto-refreshes regularly and makes the webserver think that you are still actively using it. I think there is still a hard reset every 24 hours, but don't really recall as I discovered this little trick after I switched to Supermicro boards which don't have this "feature" in it.