ipmi reset to default

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
i bought an used X10SRH-CLN4F
plug in e5-1630v4 and ram. and board seem to power on.
LE2 led lit up.
LEDM1 starts with solid green and within a minute become slowly blinking - that means the BMC is working.

but i don't hear any POST beeps.
when i unplug the memory and try again - 5 short and 1 long beeps. correct, that's the indicator of no memory.

so. i'm 90% sure this board have some old bios, which doesn't support v4 cpus.
to update the bios i need any v3 cpu, which i don't have of course :(
or this can be done via IPMI... but i can't reach it.

the seller says it's been fully tested on some v3 cpu and he don't remember what was the ipmi settings.
i assume there's some static ip, but nobody knows exactly which one.

i'm not getting any new DHCP leases whenever i tried to plug lan cable into ipmi dedicated or into lan1 port.
but the lan leds lit up normally on the ports itself and also on front panel of the chassis.

and to make any software reset to ipmi i don't have a v3 cpu to execute any code :(

so. the question - is there any way to make a hardware IPMI reset?
i tried JPB1 jumper, but it's just enables or disables the BMC.
tried to unplug the battery and touch JBT1 with metal. but that does not affect the BMC.

any ideas?
or the only way is to buy a e5-1603v3 for example and any cheapest vga monitor (of course i don't have it too :( )
only to flash new bios and reset ipmi to defaults

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
If you can sniff the traffic coming from the BMC/IPMI network port it usually isn't too difficult to determine what IP address it is using. Once you know the IP address of the IPMI device you should be able to connect the system directly to a laptop and manually configure the laptop with an IP address on the same subnet (just assume a 255.255.255.0 netmask, that almost always works). Then it is just a matter of hoping that you can access the IPMI interface with the default credentials.

Good luck!

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
i doubt that the person who changed the lan settings, kept the default ADMIN:ADMIN :)
i can't believe supermicro haven't predicted such situation

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Yes, you're probably right, but you sounded desperate so I thought I would mention a possible solution. While it has a fairly low chance of success, it should take you less than five minutes, and if it does work ... :)

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
i doubt that the person who changed the lan settings, kept the default ADMIN:ADMIN :)
i can't believe supermicro haven't predicted such situation
You'd be surprised by how many boards I've received with static IPs and default passwords. As to Supermicro planning for this, the scenario you're running into really only happens in the resale market and I don't think they spend too much time worrying about that.

If all else fails you might be able to borrow/rent a V3 CPU from someone here.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
i did sniffed the traffic on ipmi port and got an ip - 172.28.107.70
and when i opened http://172.28.107.70 - there's a supermicro's ipmi admin panel.
but... ADMIN:ADMIN didn't worked out :(

at least i know that ipmi is working fine.

i wonder is there a way to "hack" it? :) bruteforce the password maybe (but i almost sure the default login ADMIN was also changed to something else)
or some known security issues?

ssh is also working btw.

Last edited: