IPMI power on Supermicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SlickNetAaron

Apr 30, 2016
Hey all,

I've had this question for a while and can't find the answer. Probably very simple.

I have a SM X9SCM-IIF-O installed in a consumer tower with a Seasonic 400w platinum fanless power supply. When I shutdown the OS (Win, ESXi, *nix) the IPMI powers down as well. There is no way to power up the box remotely. When I press the physical power button, I get a message that IPMI must power on and then the mainboard powers up after a while.

I am guessing it's my power supply being super efficient that it doesn't allow enough current to power the IPMI when in "off" mode? Or is there some cable or specific power supply that is required? What am I missing? It's my first server board build.

I deal with Dell and HP server gear and know that the iDRAC or iLO normally stay online.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
SM IPMI will stay on unless you're switching off power via PSU or PDU switch. I've got other seasonics where it stays on when the system is off. I've never seen a SM IPMI not stay on when its plugged in but system is off.

Prob just consumer PSU.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I am guessing it's my power supply being super efficient that it doesn't allow enough current to power the IPMI when in "off" mode?
It doesnt work that way. As long as the motherboard and cpu power cables are connected to the PSU and there is power from the wall, the BMC should work. Most probably there is something wrong with the PSU. Have you checked with a different PSU?

I see this old post with a similar -ish problem where the PSU was faulty.

Supermicro X10SL7-F won't power up anymore

K D

Dec 24, 2016
It doesnt work that way. As long as the motherboard and cpu power cables are connected to the PSU and there is power from the wall, the BMC should work. Most probably there is something wrong with the PSU. Have you checked with a different PSU?

I see this old post with a similar -ish problem where the PSU was faulty.

Supermicro X10SL7-F won't power up anymore
Also, please replace your CMOS battery, reset your BIOS and BMC if you haven't already.

SlickNetAaron

Apr 30, 2016
Thanks guys,

So no special PSU requirements... That's my main question I needed answering before tearing everything apart (in case it would be in vain and never work with a standard ATX supply)

I swear I tried a different PSU before with the same results. I already had it RMA'd direct from Seasonic because it had a high pitched whine and eventually started powering the system off randomly.

I'll try the battery, BIOS, CMOS and BMC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk