IPMI Console Connection refused

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
Hi All,

So we have over the dozen of supermicro servers (compute nodes) hosting our cloud VMs. I am having difficulty in accessing (KVM) console of one of our cloud's compute node. Call it COM8. I tried initiating console from the browser as well as IPMI view. Except for console, the remaining thing in IPMI is working as expected (I can see power state, FAN speed etc). CONSOLE working fine for other hosts in pool, except COM8.

Error screenshot I am getting as below. It is somehow rejecting console connection.

Console error from Browser (even after adding IP to the exception list, its still blocking it)

Console error from IPMI view (Please note tried running IPMI view as administrator by right clicking, but no luck)

COM 8 is part of XENserver pool and I can access KVM consoles of remaining 7 hosts without any issues. So I don't think Java or IPMI view have any issues.

So far I tried
  • to access the console from two different windows machines. IPMI version tried:- 2.13 and 2.13.1. Browsers tried:- Chrome/Firefox/IE.
  • Rebooted Com8
  • Rebooted Windows machine from which I run IPMI view or browser. I am an admin user on windows machine.
  • Tried running IPMI view as administrator (by right clicking)
I really want to change few ACPI settings from BIOS and server is in another corner of the world.

Any ideas? We are using IPMI 2.0

Last edited:

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
Ha ha. Thanks for reply. If you read my comment under "so far tried" , I am admin and have tried that. Did not helped. also I am onIPMI 2.13 only. :p

BTW, if you look , running from the browser is also not working even after I added IPMI ip to the exception list for security.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Did you right click and say run as administrator when opening it?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
YEP..............
Got this error first time I ran IPMIview after a new windows 10 install. Updated Java to latest version. Under compatibility mode set as Windows 7 compatibility mode and always run as administrator. That solved the issue.

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
Hi @K D

Our windows jump box is on Server 2008 R2. As I mentioned, I can access the console of other servers in pool fine. Not getting any error there. Its only happening with COM8. So if there was an issue with OS or software, it would have affected all.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
@Logik Apologies, I was skimming, didn't register the "so far I have tried" bit of your post :p

Is Com8 also using the latest BIOS and BMC Firmware? I know SM usually tell you to update to latest and greatest and to reset to defaults when this happens :)

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
@pricklypunter
1) The BIOS and BMC firmware etc are exactly same version across the pool of servers (from COM1 to COM8). I am not sure if its latest though. Let me check this.

2) Reset Defaults that is something a person with a monitor/keyboard attached to I/O ports of COM8 can do. That would be the last thing on my list. But even for resetting to default remotely, I need to have access to the console. Right? :p

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Reset Defaults that is something a person with a monitor/keyboard attached to I/O ports of COM8 can do. That would be the last thing on my list. But even for resetting to default remotely, I need to have access to the console. Right? :p
This is probably just another example of browser vendors doing their best to "break the Internet". Try adding the https:// version of the address to your exception.sites file. Also, note that other instances of Java won't notice changes to that file until they are exited and restarted.

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
@Terry Kennedy
Making it HTTPS just changed the message from application blocked to by Java Sec to Connection Failed. Please note, I deleted all temp cache files of java from config menu. Just to be sure.

Also changing HTTPS for other servers is allowing to view IPMI console from the browser.

Still can't view damn console for COM8. :(

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Have you tried connecting with IPMIcfg instead, to confirm BMC settings etc? Is it configured to be able to do console redirection, if so, have you tried connecting that way? Beyond that, assuming round trip connectivity to com8 is good, I think you'll have to bite the bullet and get someone to physically put hands on at the remote site, or go there yourself :)

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
Have you tried connecting with IPMIcfg instead, to confirm BMC settings etc? Is it configured to be able to do console redirection, if so, have you tried connecting that way? Beyond that, assuming round trip connectivity to com8 is good, I think you'll have to bite the bullet and get someone to physically put hands on at the remote site, or go there yourself :)
@pricklypunter noted.

Well, for the SM servers, we are running (Citrix) XenServer. Which is very unfriendly to third-party utilities like IPMIcfg. If I am not mistaken, IPMIcfg needs to be run on host server OS itself, right?

Is there any way I can run IPMIcfg on a windows machine and get info about remote hosts hosting IPMI devices?

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Xen is not something I have any real experience with, so someone with experience in Xen would be better to help from here, but I thought it already came bundled with IPMItool? Just needs enabled? Maybe I'm wrong here...

Logik

Mar 7, 2018
Don't think XENserver comes with prebuilt IPMI tools etc.

Any comments on my last question in my previous post?

Is there any way I can run IPMIcfg on a windows machine and get info about remote hosts having IPMI devices?

The said windows machine Dell box. If I run IPMICFG-Win.exe -nvme list on it, do you think it will somehow list other IPMI hosts config in the same subnet?

I got below

IPMICFG-Win.exe -nvme list
Failed to get TAS Info, Completion Code=FFh
Get TAS Info failed.

IPMICFG-Win.exe -m
Failed to get IP address, Completion Code=FFh

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I don't think you can, IPMItool/ IPMIcfg are run locally from the cli. I only put it out there because if you could ssh into com8, then maybe you could run it from there, or whatever Xen has in the kernel for IPMI :)