IP-enabled device to control Voltage/Wattage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JSylvia007

Jul 29, 2018
Howdy All!

I've been a lurker here for almost a decade... Figured I might as well create an account and ask a question.

I have a blower unit in my rack to keep it temperature controlled. It is a simple 120v direct plug-in fan. I've attached it to a potentiometer, to control the rate at which it moves air.

I'd love to be able to control this via IP, as currently, if it gets too warm for a stretch of a few days, I need to physically be around to turn the knob on the potentiometer.

Any ideas for a device like this that may exist?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
This sounds like an excellent raspberry pi project. I'd look there. There's gotta be someone on RPi forums that's done this.

JSylvia007

Jul 29, 2018
I'll give that a shot. I agree that its perfect for that task, but I don't know enough about the electrical side to pull it off.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
google for "digital potentiometer", e.g., How to Build a Digital Potentiometer Circuit with a MCP4131

note that you need to make sure you look at the voltage & current requirements--the specific part in that article would not be appropriate for a fan. the nice thing about a digital pot for this application is that it has memory; it will remember the setting even if you turn off the controller or reboot it or it crashes or whatever. another option would be a PWM fan.

fwiw, once you've started down this road you might as well add a temperature sensor. :)

JSylvia007

Jul 29, 2018
These might work, but they don't give the control I'm looking for. Set-it-and-forget it might work though. My primary reason for this is to keep the noise down. When the fan is up, it's quite loud.

I like these... I'd have to retrofit my rack, but I like these.