iostat hard, soft, and transport errors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I am putting together a machine with five re-purposed WD EARS drives and napp-it is showing hard and soft errors on all of them and transport errors for two. I also have three Seagate 7200.14 drives and two PS-100 SSDs that all showing soft errors. I did a smart test on all the drives yesterday and none had errors or reallocated sectors. All the HDDs are on a single M1015 with an old(>1yr) IT firmware and 1m SFF-8087 cables and the PS-100s are on the AMD SATA controller via a reverse fanout cable. I still need to swap one or more of the HDDs the the on board to see if the errors keep up.

Are these errors bad or common? I know they are counters that zero at each reboot and the system was up for only 20 hours.

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
The first things I always check with problems like that are:

1) Power : swap power cables with known good ones, swap PSU with known good one

2) Data cables : swap with known good cables

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
So after reboot, one one drive is having errors. Even happens when moved to a different slot in the backplane. :( Going to take the drive out and test it again.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Hmm so that drive has 1300+ pending sector reallocations.... darn. One of the other drives has 1. I will RMA those two, but now I will be left with 2 EARX drives (the two I get back from RMA) and 3 EARS.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not so good cactus! Must be all of the Infiniband load.