InWin mITX NAS Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I saw this one on Amazon just before ordering another CSE721. It is a mITX NAS chassis from InWin for about $160. Here is the Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/IW-MS04-01-S265-Server-Backplane-80PLUS-Mini-ITX/dp/B0167NCADS/ Newegg is the same pricing.

It appears to have a 4x 3.5" hot swap bay as well as a spot for a slim optical drive. I can also see a 2.5" internal mounting spot so I do think you could fit a total of 4x 3.5" hot swap bays and 2x 2.5" internal non-hot swap mounting points. The 3.5" trays look like they have mounting holes for 2.5" drives (bottom) as well. I guess the benefit is that you would not need to use adapters for 2.5" drives but the disadvantage is that the trays are not likely to fit into a larger server if you ever had to migrate them.

Like the 721 it also has a removable motherboard tray.

Here is the InWin product page IW-MS04-01_IW-MS04-01_Server IN WIN | SERVER

If anyone has used the case, any idea in terms of noise? I have a feeling that if it included a double-wide expansion slot I would have already bought it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do not think it has the motherboard tray and I think it only has 1x easy to get 2.5" SATA slot.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
I wouldn't trust the InWin's FlexATX PSU to be quiet. The Chenbro uses a SFX PSU with a larger fan that I'd expect to be quieter.

The Chenbro does have 2 2.5" mounts, one on each side of the 3.5" bays. No optical, but for a NAS who cares.

The Chenbro is a bit larger.

May 11, 2016
Patrick, have you looked at the SilverStone "Case Storage Series"? They don't have removable motherboard trays but they all have hot-swap drives (w/backplane). The mini-itx cases are the CS01-HS (2.5x6 + 2.5x internal), CS280 (2.5x8 1x2.5 internal), CS380 (3.5x8 + 4x2.5 internal). I have the CS380 and a friend uses the CS01-HS (it's portable enough he can take it to photoshoots). Both run quiet and are well built.

Cressonnette

Dec 4, 2016
(First post, new to the forum and to the field.)

Patrick, I have just bought this case, but other components are still on their way, so I can't say anything for it in operation yet (and won't likely be able for the next couple of weeks). But I can provide pictures and details if required.

Over here in Europe, it seems availability of the case has got a lot poorer over recent months. In Win say you need a bracket that is available separately to use the space for the optical drive for a second 2.5". I haven't found this bracket anywhere though, so I brace myself for something requiring a bit more engineering.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
(First post, new to the forum and to the field.)

Patrick, I have just bought this case, but other components are still on their way, so I can't say anything for it in operation yet (and won't likely be able for the next couple of weeks). But I can provide pictures and details if required.

Over here in Europe, it seems availability of the case has got a lot poorer over recent months. In Win say you need a bracket that is available separately to use the space for the optical drive for a second 2.5". I haven't found this bracket anywhere though, so I brace myself for something requiring a bit more engineering.
Welcome!!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
In Win say you need a bracket that is available separately to use the space for the optical drive for a second 2.5". I haven't found this bracket anywhere though, so I brace myself for something requiring a bit more engineering.
With SSDs, Velcro works well.

Reactions: T_Minus and Fritz

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I took a different route.
I am trying to find a suitable case for my 2 newly purchased Gigabyte D1521 mITX boards.
I happened to have a Cooler Master Elite 130 case on hand. I gave it try and like the case.

Pro:
I am looking to house only 6 x SSD, no 3.5 hard drive, only 2.5" drives.
The case has a 5-1/4" slot, perfect for my favor 4 or 6 x 2.5" hot swap bays.
The case still have room for 2 x 3.5" and 1 x 2.5" drives, or 3 x 2.5" drives.
It has lots of room for more SSD by using Velcro.

Good air flow and quiet
Front: 120mm fan x 1 (installed)
Side: 80x15mm fan x 1 (installed) / 20 CFM

Con:
Power supply installed on top of system board.
To minimize the inconvenience of power supply location, I ordered a Seasonic SFX 300w power supply.
Hopefully, the SFX supply would have less obstruction.

Once, I received and installed the smaller SFX power supply. I'll order a second Elite 130 case.
It is onsale at Newegg now, for $29 AR.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
My dream case is an ITX tray with moderate clearance, 8 hot swap bays (or even better 6-7 x 5.25" and I'll supply the cages) and a REGULAR, EMPTY psu bay because **** the small and vendor supplied ones. Cube-ish format, solid carrying handles are a bonus.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have 2 Lian Li Q25 cases, it has 5 x 3.5 hot swap case , room for 2 x 3.5". It takes a full size ATX PS.

mITX case and 6x 5.25" does not go together, but you could always buy a ATX case with lots of 5.25".
Install the ITX board, then ITX board would look like a midget in a castle.

Reactions: Patrick

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
My dream case is an ITX tray with moderate clearance, 8 hot swap bays (or even better 6-7 x 5.25" and I'll supply the cages) and a REGULAR, EMPTY psu bay because **** the small and vendor supplied ones. Cube-ish format, solid carrying handles are a bonus.
Caselabs BH2:

Bullet BH2 mITX Case

ITX, 8 SSD (no hot-swap, sorry), cube, additional handle.
Niiice design(yeah, put fancy CPU cooler and LED's inside!)

-SFX power supply. But those are pretty good.
-no hotswap. I guess, you can put controller and/or sff cage from ebay.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Install the Seasonic SFX 300w power supply into the Elite 130 case.
PS is compact and very quiet. I really like the layout.
Lots of clearance ( approx 2.5" ) between power supply and CPU heatsink.

Time to order a second $29 Cooler Master Elite 130 case for the second D152 board.

Reactions: Patrick

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have either Icy-Dock or iStar ( 4 or 6 bays for 2.5" SSD ).
The case is very roomy with the smaller SFX PS.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@TLN nice! I was totally ready... then I saw it was $170... the I saw they have green.

@Marsh so is it SFX only not ATX PS2?