W

Introduction to the HP t740 Thin client - the little box that could but better

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

physx

Feb 23, 2022
A Radeon W6400 fits well but I don't think anything significantly bigger could be squeezed in there.

Also, mind you that you have 8 PCIe lanes to work with, so if you want four m.2 slots, you'll need something that has an integrated PCIe switch.

Da_Techie

Mar 11, 2022
Thanks for the info. A quick search shows the W6400 Pro to be 168mm.

One of the quad port nvme cards I was looking at (GLOTRENDS PA40) was 175mm iirc. It was that long because of the PCIe switch chip and support of 110mm nvme cards.

One thing I thought of also was the height of the nvme connectors on the back side of the card, as the quad card has nvme connectors on both sides. The dual (GLOTRENDS PA20) has them on one side only.

physx

Feb 23, 2022
I think you could take a Dremel and cut off the end of the card if you don't need support for 110mm SSDs, although the extra thickness could be a problem. I've never tried thicker cards in my T740s.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Any body know what the maximum length of the card the pcie slot/chassis can take? I looked through HP docs and did not find it listed.

I was thinking of adding a quad pcie nvme adapter and use the T740 as a storage server.
Low profile/half-height, single slot, basically anything that fits into ~168mm x 69cm x 20cm, around 45w max power draw over PCIe 3.0x8. You'll need a low form factor blower on both sides to keep the NVMe cards cool or else it'll cook off...