W

Introduction to the HP t740 Thin client - the little box that could but better

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fjf

Mar 31, 2021
Appreciate your writeup on the T740. Would you be able to recommend the part # that they say can be added to the T740 so you can increase the output to 6 monitors. Have been doing some research and not having any luck. I found this in the specs ---Optional AMD Radeon E9173 PCI Express graphics card provides support for an additional 2 displays, bringing the system support total to six displays at up to UHD/4K (3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz) resolution.

Reactions: Samir

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Appreciate your writeup on the T740. Would you be able to recommend the part # that they say can be added to the T740 so you can increase the output to 6 monitors. Have been doing some research and not having any luck. I found this in the specs ---Optional AMD Radeon E9173 PCI Express graphics card provides support for an additional 2 displays, bringing the system support total to six displays at up to UHD/4K (3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz) resolution.
It’s the Symmetry 100-438279 - usually not sold standalone at a reasonable price (quoted at 280) - it’s honestly not even that good of a card to be worth the ask - it’s based on the GCN4/Lexa and pretty much like an RX540, while the Radeon Vegas in the Raven Ridges are GCN5 based, but any 1 slot half-length RX540, RX6400 or GT1030 that fits in the chassis will work just fine.
You could also raid the Wyse 5070 extended chassis just for the card - they also use the same one on their quad display models. At least you can sell the other thin client on and reclaim some money.

Last edited:

Da_Techie

Mar 11, 2022
I have a T740 inbound and will be looking at memory and storage upgrades first.

Is the T740 sensitive about single/dual rank SODIMMS?

I have seen mentioned:
-G.Skill 64GB kit (F4-2666C18D-64GRS, currently oos @the egg)
-Crucial CT16G4TFD8266 (higher priced ECC memory)
Anyone care to share their success with 1x 32GB modules? I would like 32GB but have the option of going higher if needs change.

Any issues with using 256GB or 512GB M.2 SATA drive?

reefland

Mar 13, 2022
@Da_Techie, - Just had a T740 arrive.

The specifications on the RAM specifically state "Maximum memory speed (3200MHz) is only supported with single-rank SODIMMs".

So I'm on the hunt for 2x32GB single-rank but it seems vendors (Newegg / Microcenter) don't bother to state what the rank is. Looking at the product questions, previous people ask this but often it remains unanswered. Pointers how to proceed welcomed!

I haven't even located 2x16GB single rank yet. Ifdual-rank is used, I assume we have to run at a slower speed, but not clear what speed that might be. The BIOS currently reports:
  • 8192 MB DDR4 / Dual Channel
  • Memory Speed: 3200 MHz
    • Channel A - DIMM-1 4096 MB
    • Channel B - DIMM-3 4096 MB
There is nothing in this simple BIOS to even configure anything about that RAM such as a slower speed. So it's not clear if you have to just buy slower RAM or if it will adjust on its own to a slower speed.

Da_Techie

Mar 11, 2022
@reefland If you haven't see this post take a look. They used 2x32GB @ 2666. Not sure if (1x or 2x) 32GB 3200MHz would run @ 3200 in a T740 or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@Da_Techie, - Just had a T740 arrive.

The specifications on the RAM specifically state "Maximum memory speed (3200MHz) is only supported with single-rank SODIMMs".

So I'm on the hunt for 2x32GB single-rank but it seems vendors (Newegg / Microcenter) don't bother to state what the rank is. Looking at the product questions, previous people ask this but often it remains unanswered. Pointers how to proceed welcomed!

I haven't even located 2x16GB single rank yet. Ifdual-rank is used, I assume we have to run at a slower speed, but not clear what speed that might be. The BIOS currently reports:
  • 8192 MB DDR4 / Dual Channel
  • Memory Speed: 3200 MHz
    • Channel A - DIMM-1 4096 MB
    • Channel B - DIMM-3 4096 MB
There is nothing in this simple BIOS to even configure anything about that RAM such as a slower speed. So it's not clear if you have to just buy slower RAM or if it will adjust on its own to a slower speed.
It'll downclock to 2666 automatically just fine - my t740 also ran with Crucial 16GB 3200MHz DIMMs as part of testing. Running single rank usually means that you are running low density RAM, which is either lower capacity or you are paying more per unit (like you are dealing with Crucial Ballistix or similar gaming memory). In most cases for similar clock/latency figures the performance difference is less than 5%. It's noticeable...but not really. With current DDR4 tech, single rank 32GB SODIMMs do not exist.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Anyone have difficulty with their T740 second SSD slot? slot 1 works with an NVMe or eMMC, however, I can't get anything recognized in the second slot. Brand new unit, latest BIOS from HP but NADA for SSD recognition in the secondary M.2 slot. I can't check my other T740 as it's in use at the moment and in a remote location.

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
My brand new unit T740 has 128Gb factory emc/sata in one slot and other is populated with adata 8200 pro 480gb nvme, all works fine. Please check bios, if i remember corectly nvme slot is disabled by default.

Silicom network card does fit but bracket and led indicators has to be removed. It is not tight without bracket though.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
the sata slot is the one that is not working, I'll check the BIOS, however, it's reeeaaly basic lol.

Also reasonably certain the eMMC slot and NVMe slot are the same and the other slot is SATA only? Checking...