W

Introduction to the HP t640 Thin client - your cheap little AMD NUC7 alternative

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Badharrow

Dec 22, 2021
Thanks for clarifying. There are plenty of 620s and 630s about locally for cheap, but not sure they do h 265. I have found a 730 I'm looking at but it's a tad bigger than I'd hoped. Thanks for the thread.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Thanks for clarifying. There are plenty of 620s and 630s about locally for cheap, but not sure they do h 265. I have found a 730 I'm looking at but it's a tad bigger than I'd hoped. Thanks for the thread.
Eh, if you want H265 and on the relative cheap, that’s either one of the HP Ryzen thin clients (540/640/740) or the Wyse 5070. The GPU on the t730 is GCN2 and doesn’t do H265 decoding in hardware.

Reactions: Badharrow

rcmaehl

Nov 1, 2022
Hey WANg, I've recently drank the HP thin client Kool-aid. Do you think there would be any issues running an ASM1806 off the m.2 M Key on one of these?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hey WANg, I've recently drank the HP thin client Kool-aid. Do you think there would be any issues running an ASM1806 off the m.2 M Key on one of these?
No flipping idea - the ASM1806 is, what, a PCIe to SATA bridge chip, so it's a multi-SATA drive setup?

Blackarrow

Nov 8, 2022
Okay, but what does the actual card look like? it's a PCIe 3.0x2 Key M slot, but there's no guarantee that it'll work.
I’m actually looking into doing the same thing. Running multiple HDDs with one of these cards: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNoTxkC
It has a Marvell chip in it which is both a SATA to PCIe bridge and a SATA controller. The one I linked to actually supports up to 8 drives which is bonkers.

Reactions: cesmith9999

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I’m actually looking into doing the same thing. Running multiple HDDs with one of these cards: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNoTxkC
It has a Marvell chip in it which is both a SATA to PCIe bridge and a SATA controller. The one I linked to actually supports up to 8 drives which is bonkers.
Yeah, but where do you plan to get power for the 8 drives? There's no molex or SATA power in the thin client, and considering that this is a low wattage, passively cooled thin client sitting on a non-standard board, you'll be lucky to tap the power rails for more than a single drive without impacting stability. Those port multiplier boards also require a heatsink (with decent airflow) to stay viable in a small box.

Last edited:

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I've been using two of these as HTPCs for a while now and I'm very very happy with them.

Had some eBay gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and just managed to snag another one of these for $64 (sans PSU and OS). Not sure what I'll do with it, lol, but couldn't pass it up.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I've been using two of these as HTPCs for a while now and I'm very very happy with them.

Had some eBay gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and just managed to snag another one of these for $64 (sans PSU and OS). Not sure what I'll do with it, lol, but couldn't pass it up.
Yeah, it's a nice little machine to mess around with. I gave mine away to a buddy of mine, but am contemplating buying another one.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015

LOL, I had forgotten that I bought another one a few months ago and have no idea where I've stashed it away. Going to have do some hunting tonight, I guess.

Anyway, I noticed that the option port is listed in the guide as "HP FlexIO for the option port" - does that mean the "HP 10GBase-T Flex IO (56Q71AA)" module from the "Perfect Project TinyMiniMicro Pushing a 1L PC as a Server Concept" article would work in the T640? Anyone able to test this or brave enough to give it a try?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
LOL, I had forgotten that I bought another one a few months ago and have no idea where I've stashed it away. Going to have do some hunting tonight, I guess.

Anyway, I noticed that the option port is listed in the guide as "HP FlexIO for the option port" - does that mean the "HP 10GBase-T Flex IO (56Q71AA)" module from the "Perfect Project TinyMiniMicro Pushing a 1L PC as a Server Concept" article would work in the T640? Anyone able to test this or brave enough to give it a try?
No. Different model series, different form factor - the connector on the port is not compatible.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
No. Different model series, different form factor - the connector on the port is not compatible.
Yeah, I got a little too excited reading that. I've tried many times over the last couple of years, but I've never been able to turn up a model number or part number for the T640's HDMI option port. Nor even any units on eBay that had it already installed. Not that I actually need it for my HTPC use case, since a DP to HDMI cable works just fine (once I found the right kind to use to get 4K HDR passthrough to work).

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I did a (very silly) thing...

PXL_20231108_020314655.jpeg

That's an SK hynix 128GB NVMe SSD, in an M.2 Key A+E to Key M adapter, in the Wifi card position.

And then that's a M.2 NGFF to 7-pin SATA adapter in the SSD slot, connected to a 4 TB SATA SSD that's been stripped of its usual 2.5" plastic casing, with a USB to SATA Power cable routed from a USB port in through the Kensington Security slot (this particular SSD uses 5V only).

PXL_20231108_020847809.jpeg

The main purpose of this will be as an in-car, self-contained Plex media server and Plex HTPC player to keep the kids occupied on long road trips. The 128GB SSD is for the OS, the 4 TB SSD is for media.

Why didn't I just use a 4 TB NVMe SSD and call it good? That's a good question, which I don't have a good answer for, other than "I wanted to see if I could do it..." (well, that, and I had the SATA SSD on hand already and 4 TB NVMe SSDs are still a bit too pricy for this project).

Reactions: cesmith9999