Internet speed being throttled by server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
Having a minor problem in regards to my setup. I have Time Warner Cable 300mb down /50mb up service.

Running WSE 2012r2 with the following setup:
1) Used WSE 2012r2 on the server and set it up as a host only (stripped out everything else)
2) Setup a virtualized WSE 2012r2 machine as my domain controller
3) Setup a virtualized Windows 7 machine to use for day to day stuff, it joined to the domain

On the host and the domain controller, I get mid 200's mb down, but on the the Win7 VM, it tops out at low 100's. I'm using an Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM - Virtual Switch. The network adapter on both machine appears to be set the same.

Any idea why the Win7 VM would have its performance cut in half? Its not a huge deal as it's fast enough for anything I'm going to do with it, but I'm curious. Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Could be a gazillion things, but quite often slow transfers are either anti-virus/ encryption issues or network driver related :)

ncarty97

Apr 4, 2016
Kind of what I was afraid of. I was hoping it might be something like "Ohh for the client PC's you have to do this or it limits the speed."

Unfortunately, all the other PC's on our little network are either on Wifi or using non gigabit adapters, so I can't really test to see if any of the other PC's are facing the same issue!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Win7 has it's own troubles too of course, so it's a crap shoot as to what exactly is causing the issue for you. I would strip windows down to the bare bones, no encryption, no firewall, no anti-virus or anything else that might get in the way of your transfer, with the latest drivers for the nic card, make sure your duplex settings and nic speeds are sane end to end, check things like checksum offloading which can become a cpu issue if your card or drivers don't fully support it etc. If you are unsure if it is an actual network issue or not, try a different client os with the same hardware setup etc. I remember looking for and eventually finding a scarily long list of things to tweak, change and update on the microsoft site, with greater than half of those frustrated about these kinds of issues, never having resolved them. My own issue at that time turned out to be lots of extra unexpected overhead due to anti-virus software. I only caught that after long sessions with wireshark, but sometimes to solve an issue like this you really need to dig into the murky stuff :)