Internet firewall - spam/parental/content filtering - suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I'm not sure if something like this exist and is budget..

But basically I'm looking for some way to control kids online activity. Block inappropriate sites, log activity, etc. Not even sure what to look for?

And same way I'm looking for something like that in office so not safe stuff can be blocked. Social sites, etc, etc.

Anything maybe used/budget that can be used in this way? I see it as maybe network device between router and switch where I can control by MAC/IP/etc who get's what?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
sophos have a free firewall with pretty good web filtering function.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
How/where do I install it? I got account but didn't quite understood, they suggested install on my PC. I don't want to install on every device, I need to protect whole network..

I already found similar topics and OpenDNS seem to be good, at least I understand what they do. How is Sophos working in simple terms?

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Hey,

I have been using a UTM firewall from Cyberoam. the website is Network Security Appliances | Firewall Network Security – Cyberoam - Securing You its a foreign company but they have offices in the USA. It is very cost effective compared to the competition and has a nice patented Layer 8 technology where it logs all events based on user activities.

It has great web filtering, and logging features and also, VPN, IPS, DDOS protection and a built in Anti-Virus and a ton of other stuff.

I have 2 of these in 2 locations and been using them for about 2.5 years, and they are rock solid, and they have 24X7 support and they can even remote into the device to make settings on your behalf if needed. Otherwise its really easy to configure.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2016
Texas
I'm not sure if something like this exist and is budget..

But basically I'm looking for some way to control kids online activity. Block inappropriate sites, log activity, etc. Not even sure what to look for?

And same way I'm looking for something like that in office so not safe stuff can be blocked. Social sites, etc, etc.

Anything maybe used/budget that can be used in this way? I see it as maybe network device between router and switch where I can control by MAC/IP/etc who get's what?
Hi katit!

What is your budget? Pfsense can do everything you have mentioned, though you will have to do a bit of configuring to get it exactly how you need it to be. I bought the Netgate Netgate RCC-VE 2440 Intel Rangeley C2358 Dual Core Board along with a cheap mSATA SSD, installed Pfsense on it and am perfectly happy with it.

If you do go this route, there are plenty of forums that can help you out, of course STH being one of them. [emoji4]

Sent via Tapatalk

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016
If you are looking at DIY solutions using an old PC I recommend Smoothwall. There are some content management addons you can add to make it more what you want.

onslaught

Jul 15, 2016
You can try Untangle too. It might be more user-friendly than going with the pfSense route.

OpenDNS can be used too to block inappropriate content.

ridney

Dec 8, 2015
Singapore
I have tried pfsense before but the tedious configuration just to get web filtering working was really a pain. If you want something that works with little needed configuration then I would advise Sophos UTM. I am using one as I have kids who are online all the time and they hate me for it :)

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I have tried pfsense before but the tedious configuration just to get web filtering working was really a pain. If you want something that works with little needed configuration then I would advise Sophos UTM. I am using one as I have kids who are online all the time and they hate me for it :)
The thing that has been tough for me with Sophos UTM is filtering HTTPS traffic. It takes tons of custom rules and certs to be installed on all clients and even still certain clients only work with certain broswers (IOS + Safari). How have you addressed filtering HTTPS traffic? (i.e. Google image search, etc.)

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I'm not a technical guy so I didn't bother with HTTPS. Blocking HTTP is already good enough for me
Ah okay :) Yes, Sophos make block HTTP traffic super easy. It's much more challenging as the internet seems to migrate to using HTTPS more and more frequently to properly block HTTPS traffic. It requires the traffic being intercepted, decrypted, and then resigned with a local SSL certificate from the Sophos box. Even after putting all of this in place, I was still have issues with some good traffic being blocked and a lot of undesirable traffic getting through, besides the client/certificate installation headache.