Internal RAID card for Freenas, 8-ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I have an LSI 9211-8i. I just added another (8)-bay SAS internal cage to my HP DL380 G7. The upgraded internal bay requires (2) more SAS ports. The 9211-8i only has 2 ports. I went through some trouble when I set it up originally 1 or 2 other SAS cards did not play nice with Freenas, and took me some pain and gain to find the right one that worked (which is the LSI 9211-8i).

I am looking to replace the card with another low-profile card that does the same thing. I just want it to work with Freenas and cost < $30 +/- used. Can anyone suggest a card please?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ZFS prefers HBAs with an LSI chipset 2008, 2307 or 3008 with an IT firmware (best) or an IR firmware (ok). There are adapters with a raid-5 firmware around that will only work after a (sometimes possible) firmware cross flash

Your 9211 is based on the 2008 chipset (quite old). Some newer systems ex ESXi lacks suppport in their newest versions. Free-BSD and Solarish will keep driver support for a long time to come as they are very common.

Look at Ebay for a used controller. Search for "lsi 2008 it mode". This will find oem adapters from IBM or Dell as well.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I did a little research. Looks like the more modern controllers (which are expensive) will support 12gb SAS and need different cable connectors with the cage & backplane that goes with it. This will not work with my old existing DL380 g7 cage. I do not intent to upgrade to an array of SSD drives, with a 10gb network, would be too expensive and I have no need for that type of speed as of now.

I found few 4-port internal cards, but I do not think they are low-profile and would be a risk for me to buy & try. An easier solution for me can be to just buy another PCIe riser and add another 9211 2-port card which I know will work at the cost of lunch money.

This card appears to have 4 SAS PORTS: 9212-4i LSI SAS 2008
Confused. -4i? My 9122-8i has 2 SAS ports, connect to my 8-bank cage. I thought each of those SAS ports could support 4 drives each, which would make the card "-8i". By that logic, a "-16i" would have 4 ports. I searched for "-16i" and they are rare and expensive. When I found this "-4i" threw me off. I do not know if is a type on the listing.

Last edited:

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
Maybe I'm missing something, but is using an expander like an Intel RES2SV240 not an option? Other than you'll be lucky to find them at $30.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
This card appears to have 4 SAS PORTS: 9212-4i LSI SAS 2008
Confused. -4i? My 9122-8i has 2 SAS ports, connect to my 8-bank cage. I thought each of those SAS ports could support 4 drives each, which would make the card "-8i". By that logic, a "-16i" would have 4 ports. I searched for "-16i" and they are rare and expensive. When I found this "-4i" threw me off. I do not know if is a type on the listing.
Look closer to the picture that has 4 SATA ports that are SAS capable, not 4 actual SAS SFF-8086 ports.

Not sure why multiple SAS cards wouldn't play nice as long as they were both in it-mode.
I'm using unraid, but I have no issue with multiple SAS cards ~ the Dell H310 I flashed myself (including a 3rd onboard SAS controller).

That said if you want 4 SAS ports (16 slots), you've either gotta pay more than $30 ~ 16i cards are several hundred.
Or do a expander like ske4za said, the Intel one he noted is the best low profile expander card it'll go for about $90-100
If you can stomach a full sized card you can grab a HP 468406-B21 expander for about $25: HP SAS Expander Card 468406-B21 for Smart Array P410 | eBay

If you wanted to try again, you can pickup a IBM m1015 or Dell H310 and flash them to it-mode yourself for about $25.
See the compendium list of cards and expanders here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
If you wanted to try again, you can pickup a IBM m1015 or Dell H310 and flash them to it-mode yourself for about $25.
See the compendium list of cards and expanders here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/
That is an idea. I have a few dell H700 cards. But the HP DL3800 has an SAS card built into the motherboard. I will look up and see if/how I can flash that to IT mode.

Look closer to the picture that has 4 SATA ports that are SAS capable, not 4 actual SAS SFF-8086 ports.
I thought something had to be wrong with that. Dirty eBay vendor selling something their trickery.

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Haven't ever tried the H700s, the 9260 is a raid controller card though, not sure if that has an it-mode version.
Fyi you dont 'have' to use the onboard, you could easily use that one of the it-mode OEM cards and HP expander together if it can't be converted.

Last edited: