Interesting SuperMicro 4-node server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Was browsing eBay and found this: Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT HTRF 4 x Node Barebone 2U Server Trays | eBay

Pretty much a SuperMicro equivalent to the Dell C6100. Four sleds supporting dual X5500/X5600 CPUs, IPMI, dual Gigabit, etc, 12 LFF hotswaps (3/sled) and redundant 1400w PSUs. At $599 barebone its a bit pricey still but very similar. Given its SM parts list it may be much more readily "mod-able" that the Dells.

If the price comes down a bit it could be interesting.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Looks like they don't have the QDR Infiniband connection though unfortunately. They also have no Mezzanine slots, just the PCIe x16.

looks like no risers for the pcie slots either.

Looks like it is using the X8DTT-HF motherboard. Non standard FP and power connections so difficult to strip the boards and build workstation cases.

They still look reasonable for compute nodes though. Entry cpus and ram are still fairly cheap for this unit as well.

RB

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Hello, SM make these multinodes in two disguises, seems one for OEM and one for themselves. The main difference is that one type has standard power supply type connections see Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTT-F The machines come in 2 or 4 nodes, and the 16 bit PCI has a riser converting to 2 x 8 bit PCIe as required. I picked up a 2 node version just recently, it seems easier to make quiet than the c6100. The boards are also available with various type of infinband, etc built in. I was initially concerned about the lack of convention power supply connectors on the one I bought, but am finding that my concerns were in vain. This version is what will be in my main node has 40 QDR built in Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTT-HIBQF+ .
The really good news is that they also have 2011 series boards which also pop in... so when 2011 cpus get to 5639 prices.
I will get some posts up in the next 2 weeks as I get to the agricultural engineering aspect of the build....

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Anyone seen any cheap LGA2011 boards? I've got a pair of E5-2650 v2 but no mobo :(

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello, SM make these multinodes in two disguises, seems one for OEM and one for themselves. The main difference is that one type has standard power supply type connections see Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTT-F The machines come in 2 or 4 nodes, and the 16 bit PCI has a riser converting to 2 x 8 bit PCIe as required. I picked up a 2 node version just recently, it seems easier to make quiet than the c6100. The boards are also available with various type of infinband, etc built in. I was initially concerned about the lack of convention power supply connectors on the one I bought, but am finding that my concerns were in vain. This version is what will be in my main node has 40 QDR built in Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTT-HIBQF+ .
The really good news is that they also have 2011 series boards which also pop in... so when 2011 cpus get to 5639 prices.
I will get some posts up in the next 2 weeks as I get to the agricultural engineering aspect of the build....
Good to know. Unfortunately in the EBay link above, the seller has not taken a pic with the poer connectors of the board so there is no way to tell which one this by looking. Have to try to ask the seller or buy one hoping :).

Have to have a search around for one of those X8DTT-H boards to see if they can be had any cheaper than the C6100 nodes.

Update: Ok they are going for between $200 and $450 on ebay.

Last edited: