Interesting Story: FedEx and my new Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Last week I ordered a new Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It was shipped from AT&T via 2-day FedEx and was set to arrive on Monday.

3:47PM Monday - left on the doorstep
4:15PM Monday - fiancee checked and there was no package
4:40PM Monday - called FedEx and explained package was not there. They said they would do an investigation and call back the next day. It may have just been delivered to the wrong address
5:30PM Tuesday - I call FedEx and they told me the driver re-checked and delivered to the correct address (so not mis-delivered). I would need to call AT&T and see if they can get a refund for shipping charges. I explained to the FedEx rep that the local motion sensing cameras did not take a picture of anyone delivering the package. They said they would follow up with their security.
8:55PM Tuesday - Doorbell rings and in the time it takes to get from the couch to the door (about 40 feet/ 13m) there is nobody to be seen and the package is on the door step.

A bit of context, the house next door has people working on it until at least 4PM every day, so there are a lot of eyes in the area. This is California so homes are close together.

My thoughts on possible scenarios:
  1. It was delivered to the wrong address despite what FedEx's investigation told me and someone dropped it off without wanting to be known
  2. It was intercepted in transit and the new revelation of security cameras and the security inquiry prompted its return
  3. The box sprouted legs and was just on a 29 hour jog around the area, finally deciding it should return
  4. ?

Any other ideas? Certainly does highlight IP cameras are valuable this time of year. Will be adding a few more this weekend.

Salami

Oct 12, 2012
FedEx delivered the box to the wrong house. That person notified Fed Ex to return it to you. I don't see any foul-play here, but anything is possible.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
An interesting story with a happy ending. I too had a porch camera "help" with a FedEX delivery issue.

I have also filmed a car crash, caught someone with the habit of disposing of their junk mail using wind power, identified the dog owner who didn't like to pick up after themselves, and caught a passel of possums making merry on my lawn, which in fact was quite cute.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
FedEx delivered the box to the wrong house. That person notified Fed Ex to return it to you. I don't see any foul-play here, but anything is possible.
FedEx apparently told me when I called back that it was delivered to the correct address, and they verified on Tuesday. If your line of thinking is correct, then they gave me incorrect information on the phone.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
FedEx apparently told me when I called back that it was delivered to the correct address, and they verified on Tuesday. If your line of thinking is correct, then they gave me incorrect information on the phone.
That was my experience as well: Camera evidence caused them to "re-evaluate" prior statements. It was my only negative experience with FedEX in several decades, but I'm sure glad that I had the cameras to help when it counted.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I am just pretty surprised that they left it on your doorstep without a signiture.

Hope they don't do that with my CNC machine ;).

DHL require a signiture over here and will take the item away and wait for a call to reshedule delivering up to 10pm and weekends. I have encountered a few sellers int he US that will not touch DHL though due to bad experiences though.

Good that you got it in the end though. How is it ?. I recently got the Lenovo Yoga 13" (refreshed version with 8GB ram and 265GB ssd). Pretty pleased with it apart from the dust spots under the screen protector (my fault trying to put it on myself)...

RB

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It is great. Not that much larger than the Samsung GS3 in size but significantly more screen area.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Long gone since I wanted the Haswell based version. Battery life is a key consideration these days.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
FedEx lied. either 1 or 2 is plausible. I'd bet the driver knows that a package like the one you got has a cell phone in it.