interesting quanta switch 48x gbe 4x sfp+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
Very interesting indeed.

I could see myself buying 2 of these - probably the cheapest way of getting 6 x 10G ports (1 port on each switch for 10G uplink).

Also, could running OpenFlow on it make it L3 capable?

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Did anyone on here win the auction? I stuck in a $250.00 bid that held until someone sniped it at the last minute.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
That was me. Should be on my doorstep Wednesday.
Sweet! I'm glad it went to somebody on here. Hook it up and tell us all about it when you get it. Inifniband HBA/NIC cards are not cooperating well with my Intel S1400fp motherboards I'm using for my vSAN cluster, so I'm hoping to switch over to a true 10 gigabit ethernet setup involving this switch once another one makes it to eBay.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
The body of the listing did say "more to be listed soon" so yes - watch.
Yesssssss!! Another one was just posted, I messaged the seller and offered the same $255.00 price and got one :-D I should have mine before the end of the week as well.

EDIT: Bad news though. The one I nabbed is their last one for the moment. They're looking to get more in the next couple of weeks, but they have no idea what quantity.

Last edited:

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
That's the way that seller usually works. They sell equipment on consignment for other businesses. They typically sell the first item auction only, the second Buy It Now with best offer and accept an offer within $10 or so of the 1st sale. From there they report back to the hardware owner, then proceed to sell the quantity that the hardware owner wants to sell.

When the seller lists more they will be for $275, but they will take $255 for it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That's the way that seller usually works. They sell equipment on consignment for other businesses. They typically sell the first item auction only, the second Buy It Now with best offer and accept an offer within $10 or so of the 1st sale. From there they report back to the hardware owner, then proceed to sell the quantity that the hardware owner wants to sell.

When the seller lists more they will be for $275, but they will take $255 for it.
Amazing that we now have a community with that level of used IT ebay seller intelligence. Kudos on this one.

Reactions: Chuckleb

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Amazing that we now have a community with that level of used IT ebay seller intelligence. Kudos on this one.
I've gotten a several thinge from them since I got those 2 lb4m switches a while back. I watch their items often. They have good phones and poe switches come up often. Right now the have a few 10gb capable switches worworth keeping track of.

Reactions: Patrick

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
That would actually make a really amazing thread in the Great Deals section of the site for keeping tabs on individual sellers.

Reactions: altqpeeg

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That would actually make a really amazing thread in the Great Deals section of the site for keeping tabs on individual sellers.
I was thinking of something similar. What if we had a list of % off asking for sellers on ebay that were accepted. I bet a lot will post and accept 10% off on any item with best offer.

Now, I also understand the counter point. Maybe a private forum type of topic. I am still tossing something like this around.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
@Patrick definitely necessary to be private...

it will cease to exist otherwise, everyone and their bots will get to it quickly, and any discount will be erased because it would end up just being the (public) price

there have been a few times where a great find would get bought out before any forum member could get an order in

or some bulk order buy that takes out all inventory, before a member has a chance to get an order in.

altqpeeg

Aug 1, 2013
I was thinking of something similar. What if we had a list of % off asking for sellers on ebay that were accepted. I bet a lot will post and accept 10% off on any item with best offer.

Now, I also understand the counter point. Maybe a private forum type of topic. I am still tossing something like this around.
Whatever you decide, could you allow me to be put on the list or "private great ebay list offers" to find sellers that others have found great success and can know their best offer. Knowing it can save alot of time waiting for reply to offer that prevents catching another one.

The great buy & sale offer forums on STH I check often and found great deals from members including deals daily offers ebay and other online resellers sucn as Amazon, NewEgg to mention a couple.

Just my 2 cents.

aj

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I got mine today! Here's some pictures comparing it to a Quanta LB4M (4 x CX4):

LB4G (left) and LB4M (right):

LB4G:

LB4M:

LB4M CX4 module:

LB4G SFP+ module:

LB4G (top) and LB4M (bottom):

LB4G (top) and LB4M (bottom):

A couple of quick observations. The LB4G's fans are MUCH quieter than the LB4M. In fact, the LB4M's fans are resistor limited right now down to 50% of the original voltage and they're still louder. Notice how the LB4G has a heatsink on the CPU. During this past summer, I had problems with the LB4M locking up on me (I'm assuming due to the voltage limited fans) so I took it out of service in hopes of changing out the fans for quiet ones.

Mr. Kill-o-Watt is saying 63 watts during boot up (with all four SFP+ modules installed).

The only issue I have so far is that I'm getting a 404 error when trying to reach the GUI after enabling the http web server. Not a huge deal since I can do everything I need to do from the command line.

I just got the unit up and running with two out of three of my ESXi vSAN cluster nodes that all have Brocade 1020 CNA cards in them. I'm still waiting for a single fiber cable and SFP+ transceiver to show up before I can migrate my vSAN traffic over to it. In the meantime, I'll run some performance numbers between the two nodes and reply back.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
@h0tw1r3, how are things going with your switch? I'm beginning to find out that the command set for this switch is significantly different than the Quanta LB4M. In fact, the command reference for the Netgear 7000 series switches seems to line up best so far:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/gsm7212_gsm7224_gsm7248_60015_adminguide.pdf
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/gsm7212_gsm7224_gsm7248_60015_commandlinereference.pdf

I'm having a couple of issues that are preventing me from getting this thing running how I want. First, I'm having a problem enabling the management GUI. Even with the following configuration output, I'm getting a 404 not found error when trying to access the switch from a web browser:

Code:
(FASTPATH Routing) #show ip http

HTTP Mode (Unsecure)........................... Enabled
Java Mode...................................... Enabled
Maximum Allowable HTTP Sessions................ 16
HTTP Session Hard Timeout...................... 24 hours
HTTP Session Soft Timeout...................... 5 minutes

HTTP Mode (Secure)............................. Disabled
Secure Port.................................... 443
Secure Protocol Level(s)....................... TLS1 SSL3
Maximum Allowable HTTPS Sessions............... 16
HTTPS Session Hard Timeout..................... 24 hours
HTTPS Session Soft Timeout..................... 5 minutes
Certificate Present............................ False
Certificate Generation In Progress............. False
If I had to guess, it's enabled, but there's nothing to serve (meaning the actual web code is not installed on the switch).

Second (and the real show stopper), I can't get Layer 2 communication working properly on the SFP+ ports. Hardware-wise, I'm using Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL transceivers on the switch side and Brocade 57-0000075-01 transceivers with the Brocade 1020 CNA cards on the ESXi nodes. I have physical link, but I'm not seeing either of the Brocade 1020's MAC addresses being added to the switch's MAC address table for the specific ports that I'm trying to work with (0/49 and 0/51):

Code:
               Admin   Physical   Physical   Link   Link    LACP   Actor
Intf   Type    Mode    Mode       Status   Status  Trap    Mode   Timeout
------ ------ ------- ---------- ---------- ------ ------- ------ --------
0/37          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/38          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/39          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/40          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/41          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/42          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/43          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/44          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/45          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/46          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/47          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/48          Enable  Auto                  Down   Enable  Enable long
0/49          Enable  10G Full   10G Full   Up     Enable  Enable long
0/50          Enable  10G Full              Down   Enable  Enable long
0/51          Enable  10G Full   10G Full   Up     Enable  Enable long
0/52          Enable  10G Full              Down   Enable  Enable long

(FASTPATH Routing) #show mac-addr-table interface 0/49

MAC Address      VLAN ID      Status
-----------------  ---------  ------------

(FASTPATH Routing) #show mac-addr-table interface 0/51

MAC Address      VLAN ID      Status
-----------------  ---------  ------------
I tried all kinds of different virtual switch options in VMWare with the simplest being a traditional vSwitch that's completely open to VM network traffic:

Bare metal host 1 (10.0.1.22):

Bare metal host2 (10.0.1.24):

Here's the relevant switch config:
Code:
interface 0/49
no auto-negotiate
mtu 9000
vlan pvid 100
vlan acceptframe vlanonly
vlan participation include 100
vlan tagging 100
exit

interface 0/51
no auto-negotiate
mtu 9000
vlan pvid 100
vlan acceptframe vlanonly
vlan participation include 100
vlan tagging 100
If I have the switch configured correctly, any traffic on the two interfaces should be tagged with VLAN 100 (which allows me to eventually pass it across a trunk). Both the vSwitch and the NIC on each host are configured with an MTU of 9000, so there's no issue with that. Pinging from both VMs (Ubuntu Test 1 and 2) does not work. I know this setup works perfectly between the Brocade 1020 CNAs because I get full network connectivity and can ping between the two VMs when connecting the two CNAs together with a fiber cable. Also, pulling out all of the VLAN tagging on the ports also results in no communication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I just screwed up the switch config and it's not a hardware issue.