Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Well this quaint, got 2 replacement boards w/o heatsinks.
That's a big bummer :'(

If you do not want to deal with the hassle of returning it and whatnot you can look at this thread for cooling suggestions:
Passive cooler for G2 (rPGA988b) - AnandTech Forums

Or search for a Socket G2 or rPGA988b heatsink that will fit in these boards. There are a lot of heatsinks available from CoolJag/JagCool and Dynatron that can fit this boards and are for these sockets.
Also FrozenCPU has them available as well:
Cooljag | Socket PGA988/BGA1288 | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com  

Hopefully you'll be able to get replacement boards with heatsinks though :)

parawizard

Jan 28, 2014
Also remember to screw the cpu screw very tightly and more than you think. That got me on the 2 boards I got. I thought they were duds until I tightened the cpu socket more than I thought I needed to. Rookie mistake but one to look out for!
I have 7 boards in total. 2 with 1 bad dimm slot, one refuses to do anything (fully dead) and 4 others that work good. The socket definitely is a bit funny like that.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
So the supermicro coolers are not compatable with the advantech board.
Supermicro mounting kit requires 4mm holes for cpu cooler, advantech has 3.2mm holes.

Sure the cooler works and performs the original cooler into shame with a patented mounts.
4x m3x25/30 screws, 8x m3 nuts, 4x washers and 4x springs from the supermicro coolers.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
So the supermicro coolers are not compatable with the advantech board.
Supermicro mounting kit requires 4mm holes for cpu cooler, advantech has 3.2mm holes.

Sure the cooler works and performs the original cooler into shame with a patented mounts.
4x m3x25/30 screws, 8x m3 nuts, 4x washers and 4x springs from the supermicro coolers.
Sorry, I'm confused. So does it not fit or does it fit with some modification? Were you able to get them to work? I'm thinking about replacing the stock cpu coolers as well since last time I fired them up it was pretty loud :/

Thanks for the help!

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Thank you for the picture @s0lid ! That clears up the confusion I had :)

How loud are the Supermicro cpu coolers btw?

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
if anyone from europe has one of these boards but still needs a cpu i have one laying around that im not using (2430m)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
@concerned_thirdparty Thank you for the info! Did you have to use any kind of adapter or did it work just out of the box with the mobo? Thanks!
Yes that one works out of the box. although it only uses two holes as opposed to 4. Under 100% load it keeps things at 65ish it might work better after the thermal compound cures. I have that one cooling a i7-27xxqm.

I also have this silenx low profile northbridge cooling a i5-2520m in my silverstone HTPC case:
I used zipties looped in on themselves and locked with another zip-tie head on the holes to create
loops for the spring/hook mount:
Amazon.com: Silenx IXN40C 40mm iXtrema Pro Chipset Cooler: Computers & Accessories

Other alternatives I've found in my comprehensive research looking for bargain/affordable/non-noisy heatsinks:
Native ebay evercool Socket G2 heatsink:

It looks like the one that came with one of my boards. More Industrial Server-type.
Stupid Loud.

Here are some possible silent ones that I haven't tried personally but suspect will fit out the box or with very little modification:

http://www.amazon.com/Evercool-NCA-..._sbs_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NG1JQ9HWGBCXV68XDQM

Reactions: TubaMT

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
finally got around to booting mine, got a i5-2520m and 16gb of ram but I can't install ESXI. 5.5 and 6.0 crash with "Can't detect the last level cache" and 5.1 reboots mid setup.

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
After fiddling with it for a few hours I found the problem. I unplugged the keyboard (a Fujitsu usb) and the mouse (logitech wireless) during install. Everything worked perfectly after.

anyone knows if it's possible to get temperature info in ESXI ? I see no sensors in the Health Tab.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org

I'm going to have to go with performance differences between that celeron and even the old mainboard, that being said i'm not sure i see the value over something like an old W510 which at 275 includes everything except an os, i had 16gb in mine(which was lost due to a car fire while moving) but they'll take 2xSSD no problem with the optional tray and the dock offers more ports for USB ect. the big missing component is PCIE expansion for something like a raid controller

(Edit: and unless it's shot the battery provides a built in ups for it and any bus powered USB devices)

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
anyone knows if it's possible to get temperature info in ESXI ? I see no sensors in the Health Tab.
It isn't, but this motherboard definitely lets you know when it gets too hot. I swapped a 2760qm into mine a few months back to help with Steam streaming and with the stock fan it would start doing a dual tone ambulance style tone when I ran prime95 and I ended up having to swap out the cooler.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I'm going to have to go with performance differences between that celeron and even the old mainboard, that being said i'm not sure i see the value over something like an old W510 which at 275 includes everything except an os, i had 16gb in mine(which was lost due to a car fire while moving) but they'll take 2xSSD no problem with the optional tray and the dock offers more ports for USB ect. the big missing component is PCIE expansion for something like a raid controller

(Edit: and unless it's shot the battery provides a built in ups for it and any bus powered USB devices)
The reasons why I bought two of these boards, were (besides of performance) because of AES-NI support and dual Intel NICs, neither of which are on the cheap J1900 boards.

That said, I am not sure I would do it all over again, one of the boards was DOA (makes a "single click" sound when I press the "on" button, and does nothing) and the cooler is a bit loud.

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
It isn't, but this motherboard definitely lets you know when it gets too hot. I swapped a 2760qm into mine a few months back to help with Steam streaming and with the stock fan it would start doing a dual tone ambulance style tone when I ran prime95 and I ended up having to swap out the cooler.
what did you swap the cooler with ? I've ordered this case (wanna throw some 3.5" hdds and I need the room) so there's should be enough space for a bigger cpu cooler as well.

PowerCube 712 | Computer Cases | Products | Spire Corp - Powered by Innovation