Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Did you guys tighten the flathead screw on the socket all the way? You have to turn it until it feels "done", then go a little farther and it gives a bit and seats all the way.
That was it! Thank you so much! I was worried about breaking the cpu socket tightening it so much but it literally is like a 360 degree twist.

Btw, I tested the board with the 3 cpu's I got: i5-2450m, Celeron B830, and Celeron B800 and they all work and are recognized by the BIOS.
Also it recognizes 2 x 4GB sticks of RAM. Not sure about the 8GB sticks.

Now the next thing to do is to be able to make this thing quieter...that cpu fan is loud and running at full speed all the time! Anyone tried a 60mm-80mm fan converter? Any other ideas? Also the cpu's seem to run pretty hot...like mid 40's when running Memtest.

Zuhkov

Dec 30, 2012
Texas
I can confirm that an 8GB stick works just fine with both the B830 and the I5-2520M. I don't have two 8GB SODIMMs, so I haven't tested 16GB total.

There are CPU FAN settings in the BIOS (will need to go back and look where). After playing with those, I was able to reduce the noise a bit when the CPU isn't under serious load, but I'd be interested in other options.

I don't have any long standoffs, so I'm trying longer screws and rubber dampers meant for mounting hard drives. So far it seems to be working pretty well.

Reactions: TubaMT

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
The Silverstone SG05BB is a good case for these boards because it has 10mm motherboard standoffs which allow the rear mini PCIe slot to fit without modification. I even have a WiFi card in the mini PCIe slot of my AIMB-270 and it clears as well. I did lay down kapton tape as a precaution to prevent shorting, but the fit is great.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Good to know that the Silverstone SG05BB works as a case. Does anybody else have any case recommendations for the AIMB-272 or AIMB-270? Thank you for the suggestsions!

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Anyone think these would fit in an old supermicro 1ru case?

Eg memory / HSF going to be too tall?

HSF shouldn't be a problem as I can maybe find a passive 1ru one...?

Box Already has fans etc to blow across the Heatsink.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Well... Either my board or cpu is dud or they just refuse to work together...
Anyways ordered a B800 celeron from latvia so I can atleast test the board.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Anyone think these would fit in an old supermicro 1ru case?
There is a mini-pci express slot at the bottom of the itx board. Therefore, you'll need clearance between board and bottom of the case.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
There is a mini-pci express slot at the bottom of the itx board. Therefore, you'll need clearance between board and bottom of the case.
Indeed. I had originally bought mine to fit in a Supermicro 505-203B but with the slots on the bottom + the audio stack it is too tall. (AIMB-272)

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
I wanted my AIMB-272 to fit in a cheap istar D-118V2-ITX 1U case but the audio connectors were too tall. I didn't need them since it is a headless ESXi host so I desoldered and removed them. I also removed the fan grill and replaced the screws with flatheads to give it a little more clearance, working great so far.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
So... I decided to hop on the bandwagon, and ordered two boards + two i5-2540m CPUs for use as firewalls.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Meh, the board has dead memory channel, refuses to boot of there's anything in it.
Anyways, 2630QM works and I'm kind of amazed that THIS works.

Notice where the sata cable from SSD is going, all I had to do was a simple cut to the sata connector.

parawizard

Jan 28, 2014
Meh, the board has dead memory channel, refuses to boot of there's anything in it.
Anyways, 2630QM works and I'm kind of amazed that THIS works.

Notice where the sata cable from SSD is going, all I had to do was a simple cut to the sata connector.
From the bunch I ordered I got one that would not boot and two that had one bad ram channel. I believe they must have been using only one channel when they were deployed and didn't notice the manufacturing defect. Did you ask the seller about the issue? They promptly sent me replacements.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
From the bunch I ordered I got one that would not boot and two that had one bad ram channel. I believe they must have been using only one channel when they were deployed and didn't notice the manufacturing defect. Did you ask the seller about the issue? They promptly sent me replacements.
Also remember to screw the cpu screw very tightly and more than you think. That got me on the 2 boards I got. I thought they were duds until I tightened the cpu socket more than I thought I needed to. Rookie mistake but one to look out for!