Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
They'd better since I bought just the board from this guy and a i5-2520m.
That board is a socket 1156 with the QM57 chipset, it will not support the i5-2520m.
However it might support something like a i5-520m/i5-560m though (if you want AES-NI etc.).

EDIT: refering to the AIMB-270.

Last edited:

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
Wow, didn't even notice he had 2 types of boards for sale (270 and 272). I bought the 272 so the i5-2520m should work.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
For those that have bought either the 270 or 272, what type of case did you use? I see it has a slot of the back of the motherboard and just wanted to know if that caused any kinds of issues.

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
So the specs on the 272 say it supports 8gb max but that guy is selling one with 16gb. Anyone who got their board already can confirm it works with a 8gb so-dimm ?

I'm also interested in what cases you guys are using for them.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
No idea @gogusrl - but the processors have the memory controllers onboard and they support 8GB/ slot from what I can see.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
For those that have bought either the 270 or 272, what type of case did you use? I see it has a slot of the back of the motherboard and just wanted to know if that caused any kinds of issues.
I have a 272 now and was actually wondering the same thing. Right now it's just sitting on padding and an antistatic bag.

What I was thinking to be a solution would be to get a mini itx case that has a little space on top of the I/O panel like the Azza CSAZ-103 or the Cooler Master Elite 120/130 and taking a dremel to the back of it. Then I'd put some washers on the standoffs to give enough room for the slots on the underside of the motherboard.

Finish up the look with the I/O shield and some black electrical tape. That's the best way I thought to deal with the height clearance.

So the specs on the 272 say it supports 8gb max but that guy is selling one with 16gb. Anyone who got their board already can confirm it works with a 8gb so-dimm ?

I'm also interested in what cases you guys are using for them.
I got a 272 and like @Patrick said, according to Intel, these processors have the memory controllers onboard and they support up to 16 GB...meaning it would have to be 8GB per slot as I'm pretty sure these mobile boards do not have more than 2 SO-DIMM slots.

I ordered 2 8GB sticks off ebay because I thought they should work but unfortunately they sent me 4 GB sticks instead. Otherwise I would have had a definitive answer for you :'( I will let you know if I ever get a hold of 8 GB sticks though.

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
I wanted mine to fit in a 1u case (D-118V2-ITX) because it was cheap and amazon had a 220w 80plus PSU for it that was $15. I had to use special standoffs and desolder and remove the audio jacks from the board, and I also removed the CPU fan finger guard and used flathead screws on it for more clearance. I can only get bootless cables in the onboard network jacks but it "works"

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
I got an AIMB 272 about a week ago and decided to fire it up last night. I tried it with 2 different 4GB RAM sticks and 3 different mobile processors (Celeron B800, Celeron B830, and i5-2540m) but could not get any video out of it through the HDMI or VGA port. I'm wondering if the onboard VGA was disabled (or not working). The board seems to start up powering the cpu fan and with with a few green lights blinking on the board.

Anybody else had trouble with their boards or is it just me? Any suggestions on what to try? I may have to find a graphics card to put in there to test it out.

Thanks!

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Had the same problem with mine (272 and a 2520M). Starts up but never seems to boot (or no video out at least). Haven't had much time to tinker with it, but that usually indicates a ram issue or perhaps it needs a bios update. Been meaning to stick a video card in there.

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
Did you guys tighten the flathead screw on the socket all the way? You have to turn it until it feels "done", then go a little farther and it gives a bit and seats all the way.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Yeah that is what it was :D Almost embarrassed to admit it hehe.

Oh and make sure your CMOS clear jumper is in the right place, mine shipped in the "Clear" position which didn't help matters.

gogusrl

Jan 25, 2014
I found an I7 3612QM very cheap (~100$) but I haven't received my board yet so I'm not sure if it will work.

Did anyone use a 3xxx series cpu on these boards ?

Entz, glad to hear you solved your problem. So your problem was the clear cmos jumper ?

Jax_the_Gnome

Aug 14, 2014
Portland
I ended up getting one of the AIMB-270's. When it finally gets here I was going to try and find a MPCIE SSD that was NOT mSATA to try out in the slot. Finding one CHEAP seems to be a problem.
Anyone with one of the boards try one yet?

Last edited: