Interesting announcement from Harkernel/Odroid

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Looks like Hardkernel will be releasing an x86 Odroid maker board next month. Lots of open questions (especially about price) but this could be very interesting for small embedded projects, micro-clusters, or lots of other fun projects. I've toyed around with their ARM-based products for a couple of years. Always had great ideas for them but the lack of software maturity/compatibility in the ARM ecosystem just created too many roadblocks. With IA/x86 it could be a different ballgame.

ODROID • View topic - Brand New ODROID Single Board Computer

Last edited:
Reactions: Blinky 42

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I want to see someone hack a ton of these nodes together with an internal switch and power supply.

How about 48 on their side with all the cabling and an internal 48 x 1G port switch and power supply and fans in 3U. That would be sight to behold.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
When is ESXi on ARM due? I recall it being by the end of the year but can't find that reference now.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Sweet - I wonder what the price point will end up being. Glad to see see another small board with multiple Gigabit NICs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If only the 2 NIC’s were intel would be amazing but even so it’s a nice looking board.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
When is ESXi on ARM due? I recall it being by the end of the year but can't find that reference now.
Don't know when/if ESXi will be on ARM, but KVM works today, as does docker/Kubernetes. Only real issue is that the memory footprint on the maker boards doesn't make virtualization very practical.