Inter-Tech - 4u-4408 - enough airflow over discs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
So due to limitations of my wallmount rack I found myself buying the 4u-4408 case to be able to fit 8 discs and my xeon-d board with gpu inthere.

Now for some reason I thought that there would be enough airflow over the discs if I mounted the 4x 80mm in the front and 2x 80mm in the back.

But im beginning to have my doubts.

Im considering replacing the 4x 80mm in the front, with 2x 140mm "just standing up" in the middle of the case - a homebrew fanwall if you will..

Anyone worked with the case and have any experience to share?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Hmm, I have a supermicro 745b sq with two midwall 80mm fans (2.8k rpm) and 1 fan in the back (2.8k rpm). It's enough to coll hdds up to 7.2k rpm.

What fans do you have in that intertech chassis?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
My plan was 4x noctua A8 fans in the front (below the drivebays) and 2x A8 in the back aswell. But im thinking it might not move any air over the discs at all in the end..?

The 140mm alternative would be the noctua indurstrials 3k rpm etc.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
My plan was 4x noctua A8 fans in the front (below the drivebays) and 2x A8 in the back aswell. But im thinking it might not move any air over the discs at all in the end..?
I would agree with you there... If you put those 80mms below the drives it wont move any (much) air over the disks.
Perhaps you could built a airshroud to funnel the airflow over the disks.
Any chance to turn the front bezel upside down, so you have those disks at the bottom?

I don't really understand why intertech did not install some kind of fan wall, to take care of this problem...

I would most def go with the 2x 140mms

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, im sitting here thinking that actually hanging the 140mm's off the lid of the case could be the best option - and then block off part of the bezel to force air over discs. Just want to make sure that they dont get too hot when cramming 8x discs inthere.