Intel Xeon W-1300 and W580 motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Why not use the ASRock board that does W680 with DDR4 ECC unreg?
That post is 6 months old. The x13sae-f is out and compatible DDR5 ECC is available now, in limited quantities, but not cheap.

I'm currently more interested in the Asus Pro WS w680-ace IPMI board, but who knows when it will be purchasable in the retail market. I'm going to be doing a build over the holidays though, so if the ASUS or GB are not available, then SM it is.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Reactions: rootshell

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Just got the following response from a store regarding the ASRock board:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

The Alder Lake models are not readily available yet. The new models are to begin mass production soon and may be ready at the soonest in the December timeframe. We may then receive regular stock sometime beginning the coming year or possibly longer depending on sea transit.

That being said, we can however arrange initial sample units the cost of which are as follows:

IMB-X1314: USD $395.95 + Shipping (DDU).

(Note: DDU = Delivery Duty Unpaid. There should be no tariffs here since shipped from Taiwan but in the unlikely event tariffs are assessed, this will increase the cost.)
Shipping to the US (Fremont) from TW: $USD 95 (for 1 Motherboard)

Shipping within the US to Your Location: $ TBD

Please let us know if you should like to place such an order. "

Reactions: RolloZ170

IvanM07

Aug 28, 2022
Really wish I'd seen this before Purchasing the 1390P and X12SCA-5F.

I currently have a X10DRH-i with 2x 2667v4's. After feeling depressed for not getting a job I'd been interviewing 2 months for I decided to pull the trigger on upgrading the server lol.

Bought a 1390P, 128GB ECC UDIMM DDR4-3200, a 2tb M.2 SSD and an X12SCA-5F

Now after looking at the W680's and that the i9s there are compatible with ECC I definitely feel like I should cancel my order. If I were to cancel the order/return it looks like the cost would be about $500 more, but about double the performance of the W-1390P with a X13SAE-F, 128GB DDR5 ECC UDIMM and a 13900K.

Is it worth it? Primarily my use case was it running ESXi 7, with several Game Servers, Security Lab Stuff in Linux, Security Onion and other misc occasionally powered on VMs and Dockers as well as running TrueNAS with the HBA in passthrough. I figured the much Higher Single Core and more efficient use of Power would be worth it over time.

Although for $500 more and already spending $900 It would take about 8 years for it to pay for itself anyways. I guess it's more of an irrational purchase of wanting a project that is also half the power but twice as powerful lol.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Really wish I'd seen this before Purchasing the 1390P and X12SCA-5F.

I currently have a X10DRH-i with 2x 2667v4's. After feeling depressed for not getting a job I'd been interviewing 2 months for I decided to pull the trigger on upgrading the server lol.

Bought a 1390P, 128GB ECC UDIMM DDR4-3200, a 2tb M.2 SSD and an X12SCA-5F

Now after looking at the W680's and that the i9s there are compatible with ECC I definitely feel like I should cancel my order. If I were to cancel the order/return it looks like the cost would be about $500 more, but about double the performance of the W-1390P with a X13SAE-F, 128GB DDR5 ECC UDIMM and a 13900K.

Is it worth it? Primarily my use case was it running ESXi 7, with several Game Servers, Security Lab Stuff in Linux, Security Onion and other misc occasionally powered on VMs and Dockers as well as running TrueNAS with the HBA in passthrough. I figured the much Higher Single Core and more efficient use of Power would be worth it over time.

Although for $500 more and already spending $900 It would take about 8 years for it to pay for itself anyways. I guess it's more of an irrational purchase of wanting a project that is also half the power but twice as powerful lol.
You only spent $900 on a 1390p, x12sca-5f, and 128gb ram? Seems low!

Also, the 13900K has a max power limit on the W680 chipset to my knowledge (at least on the X13SAE-F), so it may not benchmark quite the same as on a desktop board with higher turbo power. I personally went with the i7-13700K due to that (and not needing the extra 8 efficiency cores at the time).

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
If you want to minimize what you have to sell to move to W680 and are okay with AMT instead of IPMI, Asrock Industrial has the IMB-X1314. I think it's the only W680 DDR4 board in any circulation and has a nice PCIe layout.

(Unfortunately, I think this batch of boards lacks Raptor Lake BIOS update out of the box; mine shipped with 1.10.)

IvanM07

Aug 28, 2022
You only spent $900 on a 1390p, x12sca-5f, and 128gb ram? Seems low!

Also, the 13900K has a max power limit on the W680 chipset to my knowledge (at least on the X13SAE-F), so it may not benchmark quite the same as on a desktop board with higher turbo power. I personally went with the i7-13700K due to that (and not needing the extra 8 efficiency cores at the time).
I purchased the x12SCA-5f as an open box and made an offer on the 1390P which was used from an ewaste supplier, I had a spare Evo 970 2tb I decided to put to use.

I think the only thing that was new was the ram from Crucial/Micron since it was cheaper new than used Ebay and homelabsales prices surprisingly.

I've always bought used for Homelab stuff, but with how much I have in this server running most everything for internet, surveillance, media, etc. and this being a workstation rather than server board, I'm hoping that won't be an issue, even with some of the W580 Memory and board issues others have described on reddit and forums.

I think I'll just stick with what I bought rather than returning, since the board and CPU shipped out yesterday afternoon. Should have done a bit more research, (didn't realize how much of a jump in performance 12th and 13th gen were) before buying but it was more of an impulse purchase.

I don't think the performance difference will likely affect me since I'm usually only around ~20% utilization anyways, and the 1390 should be on par with the 2 2667's in terms of multicore and much faster in single core with half the power utilization, but it's a bummer to be spending around $1k and already behind the curve lol.

Attachments

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I purchased the x12SCA-5f as an open box and made an offer on the 1390P which was used from an ewaste supplier, I had a spare Evo 970 2tb I decided to put to use.

I think the only thing that was new was the ram from Crucial/Micron since it was cheaper new than used Ebay and homelabsales prices surprisingly.

I've always bought used for Homelab stuff, but with how much I have in this server running most everything for internet, surveillance, media, etc. and this being a workstation rather than server board, I'm hoping that won't be an issue, even with some of the W580 Memory and board issues others have described on reddit and forums.

I think I'll just stick with what I bought rather than returning, since the board and CPU shipped out yesterday afternoon. Should have done a bit more research, (didn't realize how much of a jump in performance 12th and 13th gen were) before buying but it was more of an impulse purchase.

I don't think the performance difference will likely affect me since I'm usually only around ~20% utilization anyways, and the 1390 should be on par with the 2 2667's in terms of multicore and much faster in single core with half the power utilization, but it's a bummer to be spending around $1k and already behind the curve lol.
Ahh okay I just assumed new since you had the option to return :)

Also, I think I made an offer of $250 on that ebay 1390P for fun and it got rejected with no counter. I guess it was offensive.

At the end of the day if the expansion slots of the X12 meet your needs for the longer term then you won't likely notice any major difference in a homelab. I went X13 to have two x4 slots over the two x1 slots on the X12, for storage expansion.

oh, and if it makes you feel any better, you have AVX-512 and us 13th gen folks are stuck on AVX2 :p

Last edited:

IvanM07

Aug 28, 2022
Ahh okay I just assumed new since you had the option to return :)

Also, I think I made an offer of $250 on that ebay 1390P for fun and it got rejected with no counter. I guess it was offensive.

At the end of the day if the expansion slots of the X12 meet your needs for the longer term then you won't likely notice any major difference in a homelab. I went X13 to have two x4 slots over the two x1 slots on the X12, for storage expansion.

oh, and if it makes you feel any better, you have AVX-512 and us 13th gen folks are stuck on AVX2 :p
I think I offered $275, but he wouldn't come off more than $10 But it was about half the price of all the other 1390P's so I took it.

It will be tight on PCIe slots. I currently have a LSI 9361-4i, X540-T2, Perc H710P, Quadro P2200, and Intel I225v

For this build I'll just be using Quicksync, and the onboard i225-LM, going from the PERC H710p with 2x2.5 SATA Drives to 1 NVME 2TB. So that should leave me with only needing the 2 8xPCIe for the LSI and X540 and M.2 for NVME.

For regular homelab and not large datasets does AVX-512 really matter though? :p

Reactions: Almighty