Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 31S1P Special Price Promotion of $195*

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
The only thing that has kept me from buying from Colfax directly at 195 is their shipping to Canada. USPS please. UPS charges double and then charges the receiver another $50 for brokerage. USPS and Canada post actually deliver without the highway robbery or drama.
Very cool offer Chuckleb to help out!

Alternatively Robert, there are 3rd part freight forwarders like 'Shipito' or 'MyUSA' where you can set up a virtual address and have goods forwarded.

I use Shipito and they offer several freight companies to choose from and other options like double boxing, extra bubble wrap, security tape for few extra dollars. (Only bummer is they need to take photos of goods for insurance purposes and to make a special request to note 'electro sensitive goods: not to remove goods from protective packaging' cost me $5, but is relatively okay in the scheme of things.) Often freight charges are much better, especially when you consolidate items. Sometimes EBay freight charges are highly excessive.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Another happy user of shipito here. I use it extremely often, and find their rates to be really reasonable (and definitely better than most sellers' S&H charger for international orders...).
Personally, since I order between 1 and 10 items every week, and since I've only encountered lost mail a handful of times in the last 10 years - I only pony up for the extra photo and insurance if the cost is over $200 (I think this is a reasonable choice, but to each their own).

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
You are a prince... I have thrown a bunch of old hardware on fleabay in anticipation. :)

I also just had a look at the supermicro X10DRG (actually a reasonable price) for my 4 PHI's and then I looked at the CSE-747TG enclosure (ouch) as my Brand New ThermalTake Core X9 is too small (l0l - I just bought the damn thing so I could fit the water cooling rads and the xeon phis with an eatx motherboard and two power supplies.) .... I wonder if it ends with a 42" rack. The v3 ES Xeons are now cheaper than the v2 ES Xeons... DDR4 ECC is probably not coming down in price anytime soon sadly. (DDR3 is so cheap). I need someone to pay for my hobbies.

I just realized there's not room for a video card on the 747TG once I plug in my 4 phi's. How am I supposed to play games? This is outrageous.

Last edited:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
As an aside what are you guys using your number crunchers for? I'm playing with a mix of learning Math, studying machine learning,parallel programming, building a kaggle box, replatforming gnubg (neural network based backgammon program) and playing at making it a stronger player - it is currently the second best piece of backgammon software out there and that needs fixing or at least the guy who made the fastest one needs a little more motivation ;) So R/Python pymic, C ++ vtune intel compiler, gcc... Xen4Centos / Centos and miscellaneous other vms in support and because it's also a computer that I use until I can afford another beast beside/above/below it.

Roman2179

Sep 23, 2013
I'm in for one. Would need to build a new box for this thing but probably worth it for the learning experience.

Edit: Should probably go for two at these prices, might as well.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can stuff two of them in a 2u chassis and still keep things relatively quiet but that seems doubtful. I could probably make the squeeze in the rack for a 3u chassis. Could do 4u with some moving around of the rear mounted switch. I would probably want to water cool these since the rack sits next to my desk, the other other servers are quiet at the expense of density. This would have to be the same.

Either way this will be an interesting build for me.

Last edited:

ChadW

Nov 30, 2015
Patrick - Did Colfax ever get back to you? I am in for 2. I could potentially use a 3rd if we need to drive up the quantity.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I would suspect the answer is that it is Christmas.... Don't be terribly surprised if there is no response till first week of january.
I'm actually hoping this drags out a few days so that I have money in the account.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
As an aside what are you guys using your number crunchers for? I'm playing with a mix of learning Math, studying machine learning,parallel programming, building a kaggle box, replatforming gnubg (neural network based backgammon program) and playing at making it a stronger player - it is currently the second best piece of backgammon software out there and that needs fixing or at least the guy who made the fastest one needs a little more motivation ;) So R/Python pymic, C ++ vtune intel compiler, gcc... Xen4Centos / Centos and miscellaneous other vms in support and because it's also a computer that I use until I can afford another beast beside/above/below it.
I'm interested in following along if you share your learning, and usage of these.

They're something I want to start playing around with but just don't have the time to learn it all right now, while learning everything else this site has shown me is out there o_O :D and continue everything else I need to do day to day... LOL!!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick - Did Colfax ever get back to you? I am in for 2. I could potentially use a 3rd if we need to drive up the quantity.
They did - but basically got a quick e-mail saying quantities listed on website/ pricing. I plan to give them a call/ stop by in person on Monday and see if I can get this setup.

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
A couple of video course on programming with the mic's Parallel Programming and Optimization with Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors | Colfax Research

A couple of universities with Xeon Phi supercomputers.... and User Manuals :)
ITaP Research Computing - Conte
Ruby | Ohio Supercomputer Center
Thanks RobertFontaine and others for your feedback and useful contributions!

I'm awed about what can be achieved with collaboration and collective intelligence.
Which the Web and servers are a valuable platform to enable the sharing of knowledge and ideas.
It inspires me further towards my wiki project to develop social policy. :)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
They did - but basically got a quick e-mail saying quantities listed on website/ pricing. I plan to give them a call/ stop by in person on Monday and see if I can get this setup.
Hey Patrick,
(I just found the original info and shared it.
Don't count me in, Phi processors is WAY over my head at this stage)

Suggestion: Is it best to get definite numbers
and how/whom are orders for members overseas (e.g. Europe) to be arranged;
before going in to 'set this up'?

mattp

Jan 22, 2016
I am a long time lurker, but I'd love to go in for 1 if it's still a possibility

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I'd be down for one as well.

I'm just not sure how to cool it :confused:
If you get a few, you just put a stack of fans butted up against them and cool the block as one....
Otherwise, baffle fans to it.

Cesar L

Feb 1, 2016
i'm down for 1 if someone is willing to help me out with intl. ship

edit: even 2 if the 100 unit price is reached

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus